Greetings Everyone

Jacki G.

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 The contractor was a certified Aquascape contractor. I originally contacted Aquascape, Inc to get the referral. Not only did I have the issues above, the pond was incredibly expensive, (at least to me it was) but every time I needed to call him, it took multiple calls, texts and emails to get a response. Even after my lengthy, non-polite response to his requesting $850 to clean up his crew's error, he said, "I understand you're upset. Would you allow me to read my notes and get back to you by 5pm tomorrow or are you that mad at me?". I told him, "go ahead, read your notes, but I am really mad". Tomorrow by 5pm was 2 weeks ago. He never got back to me. The only thing he did was send his foreman out to see if he could see why it had a sudden 4 inch drop in water. That guy was who built the falls and he did change a couple of rocks and checked all around the pond. One thing I will say in his defense though, is that when he built it, I did ask him to make it as noisy as possible because we have a lot of road noise from a highway about a block away and I would rather hear water than cars. He didn't point out though that it would make more evaporation.

Ida

Pond noob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
Welcome to the forum! I absolutely love the rocky look of your pond :)

I agree with the others about the probable loss of water due to splashing.
Our previous diy waterfall had a “leak” (water flowing backwards over the flat rocky layers instead of forwards into the pond) and a lot of splashing loss too. In the end we opted for a solid rock-like precast waterfall, after months and months of trying to fix the diy job the landscaper did (he was a great landscaper, not so much a water feature builder).

I hope you’re able to find an easy and quick solution! Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
@Lisak1 The contractor was a certified Aquascape contractor. I originally contacted Aquascape, Inc to get the referral. Not only did I have the issues above, the pond was incredibly expensive, (at least to me it was) but every time I needed to call him, it took multiple calls, texts and emails to get a response. Even after my lengthy, non-polite response to his requesting $850 to clean up his crew's error, he said, "I understand you're upset. Would you allow me to read my notes and get back to you by 5pm tomorrow or are you that mad at me?". I told him, "go ahead, read your notes, but I am really mad". Tomorrow by 5pm was 2 weeks ago. He never got back to me. The only thing he did was send his foreman out to see if he could see why it had a sudden 4 inch drop in water. That guy was who built the falls and he did change a couple of rocks and checked all around the pond. One thing I will say in his defense though, is that when he built it, I did ask him to make it as noisy as possible because we have a lot of road noise from a highway about a block away and I would rather hear water than cars. He didn't point out though that it would make more evaporation.
I hope you contacted Aquascape and reported your displeasure JackiG...They have gotten so big and I am sorry to hear that they are certifying unqualified contractors...They do have some really good ones and I was lucky enough this time to get one of those...I would be interested to hear what they have to say about the situation. Please keep us posted...

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I hope you contacted Aquascape and reported your displeasure JackiG...They have gotten so big and I am sorry to hear that they are certifying unqualified contractors...They do have some really good ones and I was lucky enough this time to get one of those...I would be interested to hear what they have to say about the situation. Please keep us posted...
Agree, aquascape is supposed to be the best out there, the pond looks mostly aquascape worthy in my mind but not with all of those problems.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
They probably just forgot to install the uphillinator, that's their uphill overflow kit that reverses gravity. Just email Greg Wittstock and he'll get you set up with one. o_O
I really hope you are joking but I wouldn’t be surprised if they just added a pump and sold it like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to agree with @Lisak1 it's usually very easy to pick up with a home owner or a landscaper build a pond. " it looks like it" "not a good thing " I never would have pegged that as a experienced build. Now I'M NOT THERE i do not know of the possible restrictions to the site . accessibility to rock or the negotiations to the build. I don't see shelves where the rock sits on it and hides the liner but again if it was a bargain build and stacking the rocks along a sloped edge may have been what the price was for. Here is a company out in california who know concrete ponds but thats now why im showing this it is a falls much like yours but the splash is so much different and with some quick adjustments hopefully you may be in business at 1:53 they show a water fall very much like yours not no rock at the bottom and the falls are more of a horse shoe though a little less than i like

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to add the same thing. IF this was a re-build of an existing pond with limitations - ie., no bigger, or use the existing rocks and equipment, etc - then I could see it looking a bit less pro and a bit more DIY. (Totally NOT dissing DIY here - take a look at @GBBUDD 's DIY, and you'll have a hard time believing he's not a pro.) Having said that, Aquascape "style" ponds do have some distinguishing features - @GBBUDD mentioned a few... shelves for rocks, use of larger rocks to break up the "rocks piled on rocks" feel, they way they build a waterfall, etc. You just know it when you see it, especially when you've seen a lot of them. And even their style has evolved over the years - an older Aquascape pond looks very different than their newer ones. They used to build with strictly granite boulders. Then they moved into moss rock and blue stone builds and things just rolled from there. We all learn as we grow - even the pros!

@GBBUDD - I think you meant to include a video in your post.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yes spring is here . My lily's say so . I just hope my electric bill does not go up as much as gas and groceries

Attachments

• DSC03177.JPG
    DSC03177.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks @Lisak1
i passed out and should have much earlier

HERES THE LINK again look at 1:52 note the water falls into a pool behind the flat rock not on the flat rock. the sides stick out a bit to help control the splash , it doesn't stop it it just stops it from flying across the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to add the same thing. IF this was a re-build of an existing pond with limitations - ie., no bigger, or use the existing rocks and equipment, etc - then I could see it looking a bit less pro and a bit more DIY. (Totally NOT dissing DIY here - take a look at @GBBUDD 's DIY, and you'll have a hard time believing he's not a pro.) Having said that, Aquascape "style" ponds do have some distinguishing features - @GBBUDD mentioned a few... shelves for rocks, use of larger rocks to break up the "rocks piled on rocks" feel, they way they build a waterfall, etc. You just know it when you see it, especially when you've seen a lot of them. And even their style has evolved over the years - an older Aquascape pond looks very different than their newer ones. They used to build with strictly granite boulders. Then they moved into moss rock and blue stone builds and things just rolled from there. We all learn as we grow - even the pros!

@GBBUDD - I think you meant to include a video in your post.
Your too kind .

I have left the pond be for the last four years as i was traveling we will see what it looks like now that i'm planning on staying home. My traveling days are done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i WILL GLADLY AND I MEAN GLADLY WILL build someone a pond or 10 as long as i can hire some help and make phone calls to order rock. i may not have paid for the rock in cash most of it anyways but i certainly paid for it in picking it all up off the ground pulling it out of the spoils pile of dirt and then hauling it to the house. Not to mention buying a work of art is not inexpensive.

Ask a Question