TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
i WILL GLADLY AND I MEAN GLADLY WILL build someone a pond or 10 as long as i can hire some help and make phone calls to order rock. i may not have paid for the rock in cash most of it anyways but i certainly paid for it in picking it all up off the ground pulling it out of the spoils pile of dirt and then hauling it to the house. Not to mention buying a work of art is not inexpensive.
I’m moving to wherever you are!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
SHOW ME THE MONEY ......................

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m moving to wherever you are!
I'd welcome a young energetic young man like your self. Todays kids are to busy with video games and afraid to work . I've seen your resourcefulness and determination............ But you'll have to come over to the dark side ............ lol just kidding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Todays kids are to busy with video games and afraid to work .

I work with teenagers and I think they get a bad rap. Lots of kids are indeed caught up in screens and social media and games and what not, but it's definitely not the majority. Lots of kids that want to work hard and would especially love working outdoors. You'd be teaching them a creative trade that could support their family (and many other families if they get good at it) for decades to come.

Wanna make a difference? There's your plan!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was being nice @Lisak1 " imagine that" pumping him up . you popped the balloon thanks .... eye roll.... I may not be paid as a teacher but there's not a day out in the field i'm not giving experience to the upcoming generation or piers the same age we all have different history and have figured out the best way to tackle a task. That's why i love my job its never a cookie cutter...

Jacki G.

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have to agree with @Lisak1 it's usually very easy to pick up with a home owner or a landscaper build a pond. " it looks like it" "not a good thing " I never would have pegged that as a experienced build. Now I'M NOT THERE i do not know of the possible restrictions to the site . accessibility to rock or the negotiations to the build. I don't see shelves where the rock sits on it and hides the liner but again if it was a bargain build and stacking the rocks along a sloped edge may have been what the price was for. Here is a company out in california who know concrete ponds but thats now why im showing this it is a falls much like yours but the splash is so much different and with some quick adjustments hopefully you may be in business at 1:53 they show a water fall very much like yours not no rock at the bottom and the falls are more of a horse shoe though a little less than i like
This was a rebuild of my existing pond. However, there weren't any restrictions to the site or accessibility to rock. I did negotiate on the price but the only thing we agreed he wouldn't do was plants. It was supposed to be a little bigger surface space wise and much deeper than what I had and it was supposed to have a nice waterfall that would provide a lot of nice waterfall sound. Like I said previously, I did ask for the falls to make as much waterfall sound as possible to replace the road noise. Other than it not being very big though, it was definitely not supposed to be a bargain build. If he couldn't build a complete, quality pond for the price we agreed to, he had no business agreeing to build it for that. So the overall price of the pond shouldn't have meant that I ended up with anything less than his best effort.

Below shows the basics of what was supposed to be done. Although, he didn't install any lights until 2 months later because they forgot to bring them originally and they only installed 3 not 5. They never did install the Aeration Device or Power head. The installer said it didn't need them.
1646059930546.png

I've attached a few pics I took during the build.

Attachments

• 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 25

Jacki G.

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
thanks @Lisak1
i passed out and should have much earlier

HERES THE LINK again look at 1:52 note the water falls into a pool behind the flat rock not on the flat rock. the sides stick out a bit to help control the splash , it doesn't stop it it just stops it from flying across the pond.
Wow, what a beautiful pond. (I'm only 90 min from Sacramento)

I do see the difference the missing flat rock makes though. Thank you. Maybe when it warms up, I can get in there and try making some changes. The water's too cold right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
odd he does have the shelves we mentioned he just made them thin and it looks like there wasn't any. it appears they gave it a good shot it's just the rock placement could have been a bit better but i can tell you this after 45 years in construction . building rock walls is an art some folks will never be able to do it and have it come out pleasing to the eye or that will hold up to years of abuse . i can see the two rocks turned vertically making them appear to be what's called character rocks . as with many who build a pond or falls in particular a little tweeking after the fact can go a long way

Ida

Pond noob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
This was a rebuild of my existing pond. However, there weren't any restrictions to the site or accessibility to rock. I did negotiate on the price but the only thing we agreed he wouldn't do was plants. It was supposed to be a little bigger surface space wise and much deeper than what I had and it was supposed to have a nice waterfall that would provide a lot of nice waterfall sound. Like I said previously, I did ask for the falls to make as much waterfall sound as possible to replace the road noise. Other than it not being very big though, it was definitely not supposed to be a bargain build. If he couldn't build a complete, quality pond for the price we agreed to, he had no business agreeing to build it for that. So the overall price of the pond shouldn't have meant that I ended up with anything less than his best effort.

Below shows the basics of what was supposed to be done. Although, he didn't install any lights until 2 months later because they forgot to bring them originally and they only installed 3 not 5. They never did install the Aeration Device or Power head. The installer said it didn't need them.
View attachment 148027

View attachment 148027

I don’t know how liner works… but in the 5th photo it looks like the liner is overlapping another liner. Could that maybe cause a leak?

Jacki G.

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don’t know how liner works… but in the 5th photo it looks like the liner is overlapping another liner. Could that maybe cause a leak?
That was actually underlayment they put in between the liner and the rock for added protection/padding. My soil is adobe clay and it get's hard like rock. So it was just a precaution. I actually did the same thing when I built the first pond and those rocks weren't anywhere near the size and weight of the new ones.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
That was actually underlayment they put in between the liner and the rock for added protection/padding. My soil is adobe clay and it get's hard like rock. So it was just a precaution. I actually did the same thing when I built the first pond and those rocks weren't anywhere near the size and weight of the new ones.
Is it possible that some of the underlayment inside the pond (beneath the rocks) is sticking up out of the water? That's a mistake I made with my previous pond. Some small bits of underlayment would get exposed to air when the pond level dropped, and would then very quickly wick away water into thin air (making it lightly wetter!).

Another thing to check is plant roots, which also can wick a fair bit of water out of the pond.

Jacki G.

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Is it possible that some of the underlayment inside the pond (beneath the rocks) is sticking up out of the water? That's a mistake I made with my previous pond. Some small bits of underlayment would get exposed to air when the pond level dropped, and would then very quickly wick away water into thin air (making it lightly wetter!).

Another thing to check is plant roots, which also can wick a fair bit of water out of the pond.
Nope, none sticking out. They only used the extra at the bottom. I also checked my plants for wicking. All of them are either in pots or bags well below the liner level. In this picture, the red line is where the top of the liner is.

Attachments

• Liner level.jpg
    Liner level.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another possibility and the pics showed you havev a bunch of is folds in the liner this is typical for epdm and any of those folds that are close to the water level can wick water without any fabric or plants matter it' physics don't ask me how a non absorbent material can lift water

Jacki G.

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Another possibility and the pics showed you havev a bunch of is folds in the liner this is typical for epdm and any of those folds that are close to the water level can wick water without any fabric or plants matter it' physics don't ask me how a non absorbent material can lift water
But wouldn't that be a steady loss of water rather than random?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't say for sure. the sun and other environmental reasons could be at work . i believe your looking at water loss through splashing but thats only based on what i can see in a couple photos

Ask a Question