Greetings Everyone

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Another possibility and the pics showed you havev a bunch of is folds in the liner this is typical for epdm and any of those folds that are close to the water level can wick water without any fabric or plants matter it' physics don't ask me how a non absorbent material can lift water
Two words: capillary action!

Jacki G.

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think it's splash and wind too. But to be sure, I've started keeping track of the wind levels since the last drop. It's been pretty calm since then and the level has only gone down a very small amount. What would be expected from regular evaporation.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
But wouldn't that be a steady loss of water rather than random?
Is there any common denominator for when the greatest loss of water occurs? Temperature? Wind?

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I think it's splash and wind too. But to be sure, I've started keeping track of the wind levels since the last drop. It's been pretty calm since then and the level has only gone down a very small amount. What would be expected from regular evaporation.
Ha! Crossed in cyberspace!

Yes, if it's windy, you'd not only lose water from the waterfall, but also you'd lose more from surface evaporation.

Jacki G.

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm very close to the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and the bay, and normally we do have a lot of wind. It's such a normal thing that most people hang sand bags on young trees to keep them from growing in the direction of the wind. My yard has trees to break the wind but they don't eliminate it. One question mark to this theory though, is why has it only just started to happen? Why didn't it happened between it being built in Nov. and the first time in Feb.? I don't know. If it is the wind and evaporation, it seems like something must have changed to make it worse. It's a mystery I hope gets solved soon. Because if our drought gets worse, the last thing I'll need happening is large amounts of water being lost.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
It's a mystery I hope gets solved soon. Because if our drought gets worse, the last thing I'll need happening is large amounts of water being lost.

Yep, I hear you! I live in Israel, where the climate is very similar to parts of California. We had a bit of a cushion from warming temperatures for a while due to the Mediterranean having its own micro-climate. But in the past few years, the temperatures have really shot up, and no end in sight. It used to be that you'd need a sweater to be outdoors at night, even in summer. Not anymore. The long-term prediction is drought and increasing desertification, something that has already started impacting the whole region.

Some years ago, we had a mid-winter dust-storm that deposited a crazy amount of sediment all over everything. The wind blew from the east for over a month, and in all that time we didn't see the sky. But that spring, the garden bloomed like never before. I wondered what on earth was in that dust.

I realized only later that all that sediment was the topsoil blown right off the drought-stricken farms in Syria and Iraq. The Syrian civil war started not long after, as farmers flocked to the city to escape the consequences of the drought. Since then, it's only gotten worse.

I keep thinking that building our little water gardens is one step we can take to provide habitats that are vanishing in so many places. A drop in the proverbial bucket, but still something!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some years ago, we had a mid-winter dust-storm that deposited a crazy amount of sediment all over everything. The wind blew from the east for over a month, and in all that time we didn't see the sky. But that spring, the garden bloomed like never before. I wondered what on earth was in that dust.

I realized only later that all that sediment was the topsoil blown right off the drought-stricken farms in Syria and Iraq.

Same thing happened in the Midwest USA in the 1930s. Called "The Dustbowl." Farmers worked the land too hard, removed all the prairie grass. Then drought hit. Then wind. All the topsoil went bye bye.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Same thing happened in the Midwest USA in the 1930s. Called "The Dustbowl." Farmers worked the land too hard, removed all the prairie grass. Then drought hit. Then wind. All the topsoil went bye bye.
Yeah, that's pretty similar, and also had severe economic repercussions. Sadly these new changes aren't likely to be reversible. Whole regions over here are becoming uninhabitable way faster than people can adapt. We live on a tiny island temporarily saved by our being an early adopter of desalination and de-desertification (and it helps that our whole country is only the size of New Jersey). But looking beyond our borders...well, it makes pond building seem a bit surreal. Deck chairs on the Titanic, anyone?

Still, it's a good thing to do, so may as well do it well and enjoy the process. To life!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I read a great book on that…it was devastating to say the least…

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IT was a large part of the great depression..... we are walking into the next now.... if it wasn't for a lot of people hooked on gamboling with the stock market we'd be there again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'd welcome a young energetic young man like your self. Todays kids are to busy with video games and afraid to work . I've seen your resourcefulness and determination............ But you'll have to come over to the dark side ............ lol just kidding
video games are fun, work is not! solved :cool:
(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Video games are work if you have the right mindset about it.
yep, tons of people make $$ off of it. millions.

it can also be work depending on the game you play. as a 17 year old who has worked in construction, other labor, and customer service? some video games are harder and more taxing, lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you get on more specialized projects and you realize your building people their dreams, it's no longer a job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When you get on more specialized projects and you realize your building people their dreams, it's no longer a job.
Yeah no thanks, when I realize im building someone elses dream and putting money in their pockets, id rather build my own dream. I'd hate living my life to work to make someone else rich and or do what they want. Not a labor slave, no thanks

Ask a Question