Greetings from eastern PA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last summer we purchased a property with an c1925 man-made pond. 1/3 ac+, fast-dropping banks, flag iris, 3 ft at edges and ~6 ft max depth

it went dry by September, so we put in a well.
Natively we have about 30 eastern pond turtles, had at least 9 snapping turtles, raccoons, fox, blue heron, green heron, red tail hawks, frogs, and zero fish.

We stocked 3,000 rosy red fathead minnows, a dozen butterfly koi (6-10”), and 100 crayfish late last year. 150 shubunkin and sarasa, 25 snails and 25 more crayfish this spring.

This is our first pond. We have far more questions than answers!

I’m an amateur photographer as well.

Deb and I joined after noticing helpful friendly posts here.

thx.
Sam.

PS can’t attach a photo via this phone. I’ll log in from the laptop sometime and do that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, sad to say, but the chances are that the heron will enjoy the koi more than you. However, if they do not make it, you might consider stocking native fish. Pretty easy to catch fry and fingerlings using a minnow trap or net, and then you can have a more natural pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, sad to say, but the chances are that the heron will enjoy the koi more than you. However, if they do not make it, you might consider stocking native fish. Pretty easy to catch fry and fingerlings using a minnow trap or net, and then you can have a more natural pond.

True. That’s why there are so many minnows and pond dye. Trying to minimize losses.

Turns out trophy bass by the pound cost far less than Koi!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last summer we purchased a property with an c1925 man-made pond. 1/3 ac+, fast-dropping banks, flag iris, 3 ft at edges and ~6 ft max depth

it went dry by September, so we put in a well.
Natively we have about 30 eastern pond turtles, had at least 9 snapping turtles, raccoons, fox, blue heron, green heron, red tail hawks, frogs, and zero fish.

We stocked 3,000 rosy red fathead minnows, a dozen butterfly koi (6-10”), and 100 crayfish late last year. 150 shubunkin and sarasa, 25 snails and 25 more crayfish this spring.

This is our first pond. We have far more questions than answers!

I’m an amateur photographer as well.

Deb and I joined after noticing helpful friendly posts here.

thx.
Sam.

PS can’t attach a photo via this phone. I’ll log in from the laptop sometime and do that.
A04E141D-A622-49B3-9ABD-E7B377104D2A.jpeg

Ask a Question