Greetings from southern Ontario, Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I have to decided to get back into ponding after a long hiatus, my 3 young girls can all swim now (safety was a big concern). My previous pond was a rectangular raised garden pond with a pea stone barrel filter which gravity fed to a small 2 tiered flagstone waterfall, fed by a small internal pump. This first one was in the late 90's, I also installed one at my parents before I built mine (and subsequently redid their pond after mine, twas too small). I will try and attach pics at the end.

I started digging my new 15x7x3 rectangular pond today, bought the liner (edpm) 15'x25 'last week and started sourcing parts (got 2 - 55 gallon barrels for free), and have a Cyclone 3100 gph pump on the way . So my plan is to have a block wall at the far end with a diy spillway/weir, and have the filters behind it. Two Doc bio-filters, supplied by the pump from the top of barrels, gravity feeding into tote trickle showers (over lava rock) from both sides via 3" pvc. The 3" pipe goes into the totes from both sides and then the water that doesn't trickle down goes forward and down into the wall spillway, where the trickle water rejoins it using a wye/tee joint.

That's my plan for building the pond and filters, I have access to lilly pad cuttings and imperial taro shoots, tons of yellow flag iris plants which I plan to throw in the pond asap to start building up some good bacteria. I will be stocking it with mostly shebunkins and fantails, 1 or 2 koi, and a peach catfish for the kids (and for filtering the bottom) Any thoughts????

pond 11.jpeg

^^^^^My fist pond

pond 1.jpeg

^^^^^My pencil drawn diagram!!!!

( I have been reading here for a week or two btw)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
smileywelcome687.gif
To our group!

I would stick with no koi if you want lilies, remember if you have 1-2 they will breed and cross breed with the other fish.

I think up there in canada, you might want to go deeper. The canadians on site can discuss that better, the depth needed to survive the winters there. Mine is 5 feet deep, to keep it cool in the summer and a ice free place for the fish in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
- 1 sarassa comet
- 2 calico fantails
- 6 cheap koi
- 3 butterfly koi
- predator got my shubunkin (kids named it Bunki)
- might get some more fancy golfish

Ask a Question