Guess who is out having fun? (It's ME!) Planning wildlife pond for backyard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Update: the new pond almost became a butterfly garden. We found out about some unexpected expenses for our college aged son. He is going to live in an apartment that fulfills the "on campus" requirement but isn't technically run by the university. Instead of a 10 month lease, he has to do a 12 month. My husband went into major anxiety mode, since the apartment was already a little more than we wanted it to be. Then add on 2 more months. Then add on a security deposit, which the dorms don't require. MY response was to say oh crap, I will deposit the $800 cash I have saved to help with the extra expense. I can just turn the area into a big garden and fill in the hole for the intake bay. I bought aqua blocks that I can't return -- I could just make a bubbler millstone fountain with that and it would all cost a lot less. After the hubby chilled, we had a talk. I offered to switch gears but he really wants me to go ahead with the pond, which is sweet and unexpected. He is a saver, not a spender. Current plan -- explore different loan options and realize that over the course of a year, this isn't that much more money -- and he can move elsewhere next year if this isn't doable. AND -- I get to keep digging!!!!! Heading out there right now, so I will have more photos later!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are some shots of my progress. (Note that they are not exactly in logical order. Should be water in the hole, then tracks, then the other two.). I'm working on digging the bog right now, trying to build up soil on the low side and make everything level. It's slow going in this hard red clay. You can see in one shot that I had to use water to help loosen things. That high spot that looks like a dividing wall in the water was a giant clay boulder. You can't bust them up with muscle. You have to find the edge and get under it, then pry them out. I finally did that and now I'm working on the sides and final shape up of the inside. After the water finally percolated through, I saw that I'd had visitors in the night. I think these are raccoon tracks? Looks like big ones to the left and a tiny one to the right? Mom and baby, maybe? I feel like the critters are all coming to check on the progress of their new hangout!

Attachments

• new pond.jpeg
    new pond.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 373
  • new pond tracks.jpeg
    new pond tracks.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 350
  • new pond soaking.jpeg
    new pond soaking.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 350
  • new pond 2.jpeg
    new pond 2.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 345

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh me oh my aching back! You are getting there tho.
Looks like raccoon feet to me and they wish you would hurry up :joyful:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So much more to do.........................oh the pain and agony our bodies go through digging all these ponds by hand! It is so worth it tho when done. We can then all sit by the pond w/our feet up and relax while we wait for our anti-inflammatory drugs to kick in :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are a couple of shots from the excavation. You can see a humongous granite rock down in the intake bay. That will be my next big challenge. It was sticking out into where my aqua blocks need to go - but 2/3 of it is buried down under the sidewall that needs to remain intact. I've loosened it but can't maneuver it well in that small space. I think I'll have to strap it and pull it out with a come-along. It's slow going, but I'm making progress! After I get it out, I plan to fill in the void in the wall with that pile of nice, loose, easy-to-pack red clay.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What are the chances?? We made a similar discovery when were were digging our pond. The people who built the timber retaining walls in our subdivision apparently used the scraps for fill. We uncovered a pile of them right where we wanted our waterfall to go. We left them alone and moved on to Plan B!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When our pond was built, huge roots were discovered and we couldn't go as deep as we'd planned. I'm not familiar with aqua blocks, must google them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
When our pond was built, huge roots were discovered and we couldn't go as deep as we'd planned. I'm not familiar with aqua blocks, must google them :)
I'm making an intake bay, which serves as sort of a DIY skimmer. Aqua blocks are like big sturdy milk crates that can hold a lot of weight. They are used under pondless waterfalls and millstone fountains and such -- to serve as a water catchment area. The aqua blocks will be about 7 inches below the surface of the water and covered with a thin layer of smallish rock. The pump will be inside the blocks. Water will get sucked into the intake bay, along with anything floating on the surface. Instead of emptying a skimmer basket, I'll just net leaves and sticks out of the intake bay. It seems that more and more pond builders are using these. Hopefully, it will work well!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It seems that more and more pond builders are using these. Hopefully, it will work well!

We were just talking about this today and wishing that we had done something similar with our pond. The negative edge acts as our skimmer, but it's a bit more difficult to clean debris out of the gravel than it would be if it were floating like yours will be.

Ask a Question