Guess who is out having fun? (It's ME!) Planning wildlife pond for backyard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh the pain and agony our bodies go through "ok i'll buy that " digging all these ponds by hand! "HELL NO . Rental is my best friend" It is so worth it tho when done. We can then all sit by the pond w/our feet up and relax while we wait for our anti-inflammatory drugs to kick in :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Is the intake bay the filtration as well as the skimmer, or will you have a bog?

I will have a bog. If you scroll back to the earlier pictures, you can see the bog up at the top right. I'm excited to do something with these two new (to me) features!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My last two digging sessions were devoted to the Rock of Gibralter. Or Plymouth Rock. It is a big granite boulder that was wedged into the side wall of my intake bay. I found it when I was refining the shape of the intake bay and at first, just the top was sticking out. I guess I could also call it a Georgia iceberg. There was a lot more of it underground and it was really, really hard to get it out of such a small space. The earth around it was a combination of rocks, large, layered rock-like clay deposits (hardpan) and more rocks. It was awful. Using a combination of ropes, levers, and wedges - plus sheer brute strength and stubbornness, I got it out! Well, almost out. It's out of the hole it was wedged in, but I'll need hubby's help to get it lifted out of the intake bay. It's a beast. I have the void in the side wall mostly filled in now, but it needs to dry more -- the dirt was very muddy. Next session, I'll need to finish filling in it, then back to refining the size and shape of the intake bay.

Attachments

• IMG_5353.jpeg
    IMG_5353.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5354.jpeg
    IMG_5354.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_5356.jpeg
    IMG_5356.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_5358.jpeg
    IMG_5358.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_5360.jpeg
    IMG_5360.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 190
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
In the last picture, see the right side of the boulder? Where it is a lighter color? That's the part that was sticking up out of the bottom of the intake bay. All the rest of it was below.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Also, you can't really tell from the picture, but that intake bay hole is about 3 feet deep.

Ask a Question