Have a pond and not sure how to maintain

Reaction score
Hey,
Well my family has recently purchased a house with a pond in the middle of the driveway, we are not there often so we have not been able to really maintain it (nor do we even know how). There are a few gold fish currently in the pond (possibly around 25) the largest being about 6" long but all various sizes. The deepest part is about 5-6ft deep, but it becomes shallow on the other end of the pond (about 18ft in length), kind of hard to explain.

I went up there today and noticed that the pond was disgustingly green and from what I gathered online I guess it's considered algae bloom (?) correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways there was also a fair bit of sludge on the ground and rotting leaves (as there are trees on two sides of the pond).
I decided to empty out the pond and fill it with water again but what exactly can I do to stop the algae from getting out of control, what kind of products should I use (specific brands would be nice). I also heard that plants would be wise but what plants are easy to maintain and allows us to still see the gold fish in the pond.

I also attached a pic of how disgusting it looks, just to give you guys an idea.

By the way, where exactly would the filter be located? I notice on the opposite end of the waterfall there is a plastic container that has three layers of filter, is that the actual filter or a skimmer?

Attachments

• IMG00045-20100722-1715.jpg
    IMG00045-20100722-1715.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG00042-20100722-1459.jpg
    IMG00042-20100722-1459.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

If I were to plant duckweed would it take over my pond quickly? From what I read it seems to grow and expand really fast and seems like it'll be a huge hassle (considering we visit once a week).

In regards to the UV Light, if I were to purchase a small one and keep it running. How long would I have to leave it on? How far underneath the water should I put it.

Aside from the Algae, what would be a good method to clean the goldfish waste?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have both duckweed and water lettuce in my upper pond. When it gets overgrown, it takes only a couple minutes to net out the excess. My mulch pile loves it.

Ask a Question