Head calculation help - intake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome- I'm I reading correctly- periha25000? Minimum rate on that pump is over 5000gph. A bit much for a 300 gal tank.

Well, Periha overstates their flow rates by about 40% even at 0 head, so probably just about right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is actually a relief! That was my best guess as well… especially having read all the back and forth on koiphen. I had some newbie questions for seasideaquatics and they responded very quickly. So I took the leap since the price was better then the eco twist or lacuna and people seem happy with the pump as long as they went in knowing it’s limitations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a few questions I couldnt find a definite answer to elsewhere.
recap: 100 gallon stock tank anoxic up flow bog hybrid filter elevated next to 300 gallon stock tank at ground level.

Instead of a weir return I am planning do a 6" DIY bulkhead fitting return in the same method ive seen here and elswhere use an electrical conduit and spare innertub as gasket. two pvc adapters, 6" MPT and FPT. The admin on pvcfittingsonline says the OD of the threads are 6 3/8 or 162mm. Does the board advise I use a 160mm or 162mm hole saw?

I have assembled the manifold, cut the slits every 6 inches or so, 2" pipe with a T end and cross in the middle, extending to the sides and ends capped. Ihave some old large plastic mesh gate panels that were used to seperate kidgoats years ago and cut them to put over the manifold. The Biocensis baskets (7) of the 9x9 totalpond ones from amazon. If I put large smooth washed river rock around and under the manifold will it create a bad environment, the black anaerobic stuff DrNovak warns about in aquariums with no plenum? Probably over thinking this. Also, It would seem the SAFE T SORB I acquired from tractor supply is nice and big, however It does seem like it will leak out of the baskets. Does anyone have any suggestion for mesh to line the baskets with? I do want to stay away from using metal right, like cheap window screen?

Thank you for your patience with me!

Happy Spring to everyone this side of the equator!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
6" is a very big bulkhead! Don't know what to tell you about the size of the saw. Too small is better than too big, but making a hole larger with a hole saw is also pretty difficult. I would do a test run on a piece of plywood or something. You can always go a hair too small and then use a file to enlarge the hole. Also recommend coating your gasket with silicone or PL roofing sealant. How are you going to tighten the fitting? Giant strap wrenches?

RE: The bog/anoxic combo. When I considered doing anoxic, I was going to use milk crates for the baskets, lined with plastic window screen. Milk crates stack very well. Don't know about the pots you bought, but window screen liner should work just as well.

Not sure how well the combo is going to work, but interested to see. Concern would be that you won't have much gravel and junk from the baskets will just fall out and clog what you do have. But can't wait to see what you come up with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
6" is a very big bulkhead! Don't know what to tell you about the size of the saw. Too small is better than too big, but making a hole larger with a hole saw is also pretty difficult. I would do a test run on a piece of plywood or something. You can always go a hair too small and then use a file to enlarge the hole. Also recommend coating your gasket with silicone or PL roofing sealant. How are you going to tighten the fitting? Giant strap wrenches?

RE: The bog/anoxic combo. When I considered doing anoxic, I was going to use milk crates for the baskets, lined with plastic window screen. Milk crates stack very well. Don't know about the pots you bought, but window screen liner should work just as well.

Not sure how well the combo is going to work, but interested to see. Concern would be that you won't have much gravel and junk from the baskets will just fall out and clog what you do have. But can't wait to see what you come up with.
thanks again, Yes on the black rtv for sure. Back filling with pea gravel to an as yet undetermined height below the brim. I guess that is indeed what I read most do with their bogs, pea gravel around manifold so I suppose I am overthinking it a bit again In the wrong direction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
through trial and error I can report that the cobalt aquatic baskets have much smaller holes than the becket or totalpond aquatic baskets. I will be using the Cobalt ones for the anoxic layer of my bog. I hope this info might help in Some small way if anyone is wondering in the future(hard to tell from photos)The totalpond seems the sturdiest of the bunch. All are $3 prime budget options, limit 3 per transaction, On Amazon prime.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello again! How clean should the pea gravel be before building a bog (in a container) Will a quick once over with a hose in batches suffice, or does it need detail work? Seems pretty clean but as we were moving it to the area i do notice a grey dust. Water can be a bit on the scarce side here which may sound silly being on the wet redwood coast but we rely on a spring and water deliveries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just finished watching John Adams on Youtube building the wetland filter for his personal pond and the gravel he gets looks like it's about 10% fines. Just piles of dust mixed in with rocks. And he just dumps it in. All of his ponds are crystal clear. I think they wash and pump out the silt as they install.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello again! How clean should the pea gravel be before building a bog (in a container) Will a quick once over with a hose in batches suffice, or does it need detail work? Seems pretty clean but as we were moving it to the area i do notice a grey dust. Water can be a bit on the scarce side here which may sound silly being on the wet redwood coast but we rely on a spring and water deliveries.
The key is to get your stone from the best and cleanest stone you can get. One absolute help is to make clear to the yard that this is not a landscape walk way and you are requesting as part of the sale that the loader or skid steer not scoop from the bottom but start from a foot off the ground. Your fines and silt end up at the bottom.

trying to wash your stone is all but impossible unless in thin amounts over a screen. i used a 3 inch hose with 12000 gallons an hour and all it did was to wash the surface

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One absolute help is to make clear to the yard that this is not a landscape walk way and you are requesting as part of the sale that the loader or skid steer not scoop from the bottom but start from a foot off the ground.

That’s the key, right there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The key is to get your stone from the best and cleanest stone you can get. One absolute help is to make clear to the yard that this is not a landscape walk way and you are requesting as part of the sale that the loader or skid steer not scoop from the bottom but start from a foot off the ground. Your fines and silt end up at the bottom.

trying to wash your stone is all but impossible unless in thin amounts over a screen. i used a 3 inch hose with 12000 gallons an hour and all it did was to wash the surface
Your showcase promptedbthe question, I was reviewing your pictures and it said “thousands” and i got spooked!

Love the hobbit log!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is the rough first draft of the layout. I may lower the top tank and or move it back and use a preformed spillway between the two.
Always happy to have this scrutinized before its filled with stone. My solid question tho is about the 300 gallon tank. I got a great deal on a couple 2” bulkheads from the local plumbing supply store. Id like to run the intake for the pump from the bottom area on the flat surface in the middle(as pictured below) but its too big without sanding down the interior structural rib. But right above it is that nice wide flat surface but it is at angle as you can see.

My idea is to put the bulkhead through the part above it which is at an angle. (with a 2” lifegard suction strainer dingus to prevent the fish from getting sucked into the leaf trap)

Is there a problem Do you think with putting the bulkhead on that angle surface and using a fitting or two to get it back to ground level horizontal with the leaf trap/pump?

As i said above i had originally thought of going up and over but this seems doable and I can always cap it if it needs to return to regular ranch duties. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
DA1C5820-CB40-4C33-9451-E0A016220DE4.jpeg
57068477-5522-4F9D-A34E-AB4B838BEA09.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it would be no problem to shave off those ribs and get a bulkhead in. The real issue, though, is that it's typically not great to draw right from the bottom. I guess if you've got no overhead tree/leaf canopy, a strainer ahead of the pump, and don't mind doing regular strainer cleaning, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your showcase promptedbthe question, I was reviewing your pictures and it said “thousands” and i got spooked!

Love the hobbit log!
Glad so many are finding the showcase helpful and is giving them ideas to work with

Ask a Question