sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just hose it off and soak it in peroxide water and put it in the sun to dry and while it is drying I just put another piece in .I use the peroxide only if the is algae to kill the small cells off and it also helps when I put it back in the pond as it adds oxygen to you water also .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
If the bottom of the pond is rock free, you can just scoop out the pond sludge with a net. That is how I do it, and then I would recommend you get a yellow flag water iris, they should grow there naturally in the UK, and they clean the pond better than any filter once established! Here a picture of a large clump that I have in my pond....

Attachments

• IMAG3301.jpg
    IMAG3301.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAG3295.jpg
    IMAG3295.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 247
  • IMAG3309.jpg
    IMAG3309.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 231
Reaction score
I haven't but to be honest I never looked, I found some on a website, and they were very cheap. Ordered and on their way, along with some aquatic soil, hessan, and a basket! I'll grab some pebbles from the local shop, or our soil (which is littered with the things).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can use 100 % clay kitty litter but all plants should be cleaned well before going in your pond you sure don't want any bad stuff coming out of the plants into your pond .I call it ICE isolate ,clean and then they are allowed to enter my pond .

Reaction score
I just wanted to pop in and say 'thank you'; the batting cleaned up the brown murk very well; it look a lot of swapping and cleaning, but it's much better. I think I'll try and make a large pre-filter, now that the water is much clearer - and we'll definitely get some netting on there today. By the time I've cleared the surface of leaves, more have fallen. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy had told me about leaf baskets and they are only for external pumps but lucky me both of my pumps can be external too .So ordered one at 49 dollars from eastern koi .

Reaction score
That's something I can look at next year. Sure enough, as was suggested earlier, we have the pond 'bug'. We'll be making the pond 5-6 times bigger, effectively turning most of our back garden into a water garden. Fun planning ahead, but due to brick walls encompassing it, I'll be digging the thing by hand.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat! We will have fun cheering you on as you dig it bigger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, yes, Grenage, we totally enjoy watching others dig and move dirt and mud and rocks, and creating their own little heaven in their yards! Agree with Addy, we certainly will be cheering you on as you build! Keep us posted!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well then, I shall be sure to record my pain and misery, for your viewing pleasure. ;)

Please do! it brings back our memories of pain and misery! but this time we are just watching!

Ask a Question