Headfirst into ponds

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Awe... I want to come have fun too, but can't leave my garden ponds and Poppy and Bear need me to take them for their daily walks. But you guys can tell me all about it and post pictures when you get going. I'm excited for both of you! :) :) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, lots of pics will get posted, and we will have a blast! Come on, Sissy, I can dig and gab, can't you?! :LOL: I agree, would be so much fun to have a "Garden Pond Forum Get Together" sometime. Fishy, you and I and ICSD live in the midwest (also Keith and others in the Chicago area, and Todd just west of me) so we could host it! TONS of hotels in Effingham, OMG, they are finishing a 4 story one now. I have no idea how those hotels can survive, there must be 8 large ones in Effingham, but they are at the crossroads to 2 major interstates, 57 (N/S) and 70 (E/W). Glad I don't live there.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have lots of hotels here and I always wonder the same thing ,come on this is not a resort area and only real big draw is the Martinsville speed way .I do love to go to NC and shop more than here .They just totally remodeled 2 of the hotels this past summer and got some great throw out stuff since I knew they guy who was doing it .I am hoping they get the other job as they are going to get rid of the indoor pond and the have some great statues around it .Some nice big fish statues and a fairy statue I have had my eye on .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, Sissy, that would be to die for, getting statues like that! Good luck, and let us know if you succeed. It's great when you have the inside track on things like that. Woohoo!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The last hotel I got some traverteen and it was not used it had been laying in a stock room as extras and paid 25 cents a piece for 8 by 12 sheets of it and got 10 of them and they are sitting in the basement for me to decide what to do with them .I got a built in coffee maker with expresso maker and capichino maker as a kit from there too and paid 50 dollars for it and it retails for over 2 thousand dollars .Just have to move my cabinets up and cut hole for it to flush mount and install the water line but it works great .It is going on an interior wall that is 2 x8 stud wall but still have to take a little room up in the closet in the spare bedroom .But who cares it is just a spare bedroom and coffee comes first in my opinion .

Reaction score
Love love love free stuff!! We know a guy at the salvage yard ( shhhhhh lol ). He let's us take stuff out, if we find something we really like. The last time we hauled off some things there, I found an old wrought Iron Chiminea(sp?) OMG! I was soo excited! On the way home with it, this woman stopped us at a stop light and offered us 200$ for it :huh: I'll take pictures of it tomorrow and post it. It's amazing what people will throw away! It's almost criminal!! LoL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great idea, Sissy. And, I can't imagine coming up with a wrought iron chimnea someone threw away. What a steal. Anything old and metal catches my attention. I love metal art things a LOT. Going to Covered Bridge Festival in IN, and hoping to pick up at least one metal art piece for my pond area while I'm there.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have a metal fabrication place in Danville and been thinking of going to there open house and sale show November 5th .You will have to take pics CE so we can see the neat stuff too .I have been picking those satelite things for years now and making them up as gifts for people and when I show them pics of what they were .The first thing I here oh my gosh I threw mine out and I laugh and say this may be yours and it came back to haunt you for thinking it was trash .

Reaction score
Those are cool sissy, great idea! I like the metal stuff too, got a wrought iron bench and two chairs for free too. I took em apart and painted the iron shiny black. Then took the metal on the back of it, which is like a carved magnolia motif, and dry brushed it. Then painted the faded wood with a semi-transparent stain, it's a soft green that I've used on some other things in the yard. Intact, I think I got all my patio furniture from people throwing it away :)
Hey, has anyone had trouble uploading picutures?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I notice if my computer is running a virus scan, uploading pics takes forever. Sometimes they don't upload, and then I try right away, and they upload fast. I always think it's my computer. Just uploaded some pics on another thread, they ran super fast!
I will take pics of what I find at the Covered Bridge Festival. There will be tons more I see than what I buy, which is usually only one or two pieces. Would love to find a little wooden wagon planter, the type that is the size a goat would have pulled in years past. I used to have goats. LOL

Ask a Question