addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! I keep a net on 24/7, we have herons even in the dead of winter looking for food.

Nice looking fish! I have a lot of shubunkins, love their colors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you! I’ve been trying to mix it up with the colors and patterns. All orange with one white was getting boring. Lol
That's always been my goal to have a collection of fish all different colors...I'm hoping to find a true blue koi someday, but for now the shubbies do just fine with their lovely blue

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! I keep a net on 24/7, we have herons even in the dead of winter looking for food.

I agree! I went almost a year before a heron found my pond...it's only a matter of time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Thanks! I try not to have favorites but the shubunkins are up there on the list.

That's always been my goal to have a collection of fish all different colors...I'm hoping to find a true blue koi someday, but for now the shubbies do just fine with their lovely blue

I agree, when I found the two mostly blue/grey shubunkins at a pet store I snatched them up right away!

I agree! I went almost a year before a heron found my pond...it's only a matter of time

I guess I just got lucky for a while but a part of me feels bad because I was just scooping them up and taking pictures right before he went missing. It’s almost like the predator was watching me inadvertently display my fish and was selecting which one they wanted to take first. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
a part of me feels bad because I was just scooping them up and taking pictures right before he went missing

Are there places for your fish to hide in your pond? We have one chubby fantail who disappears about once a year. As soon as we are sure she's gone for good this time, she reappears. I'm talking WEEKS of being MIA. We have no idea where she goes (I suspect she finds her way between the rocks in the walls) but she keeps coming back! Maybe your fish got spooked from being handled and went to find a hiding place... just a thought!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Are there places for your fish to hide in your pond? We have one chubby fantail who disappears about once a year. As soon as we are sure she's gone for good this time, she reappears. I'm talking WEEKS of being MIA. We have no idea where she goes (I suspect she finds her way between the rocks in the walls) but she keeps coming back! Maybe your fish got spooked from being handled and went to find a hiding place... just a thought!

I have some sterilite storage crates that I use as plant stands but they were turned over to keep my lillies down at the bottom of the pond. I did move them around and have since turned them back over in preparation for spring. Other than that there are a couple spots in the lining that he may have been able to get behind but I haven’t seen any unusual bumps or bulges that would make me think he got stuck behind it. It would be highly unlikely he has been hiding or got stuck in a fold but I’ll double check later today when I get home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our pond has lots of potential hiding spots, but our little fantail (who we were told really has no business swimming with the big guys, but she hold her own!) is kind of chubby so it seems improbable that she could squeeze between the rocks. But after being missing for weeks and me being in the pond numerous times poking around it seems to be the only possibility. I sometimes wonder if she does it on purpose or if she wanders into a small gap and then can't find her way back out again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I guess I just got lucky for a while but a part of me feels bad because I was just scooping them up and taking pictures right before he went missing. It’s almost like the predator was watching me inadvertently display my fish and was selecting which one they wanted to take first. :(

So sorry!:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I found my fish sleep in the plastic buckets I have floating in my pond. At first I thought it had died, but when I used a rake to pull the bucket closer to the edge so I could pull it out, off it went. The buckets were intended as stands for plants to sit on/ in, but I may leave a few for them to rest hidden in.

Ask a Question