sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But spring rains could mean worse problems than you have right now .Especially if the rains are hard and a lot .Have you talked to your neighbors about there yards to see if they have standing water in theres .Are you downhill of other properties that maybe there deverting water your way by accident and it is soaking your property .Unless like you say you could have an underground spring .My father had one on his property and used it to his advantage buy finding where the largest flow was coming in and digging it out and making a stream that flowed naturally through our yard to water the gardens .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
maybe there is a way to get the spring water to enter the pond, natural water changes!

And Welcome to the group

Reaction score
i was answering everybodys questions in a long drawn out story about my day working on my baby (my pond) no name yet for her because the dynamics change by the day! only it will be a girl my baby! then my laptop died and lost the whole post. dont have the energy to type it again. heres the short version-- my next door neighbors runoff water did enter my yard, i said did! today i finished the 150ft french drain that took care of that water problem. Answer to Sissy's question. DrDave the pond is empty now. should i install a bottom drain with skimmer now since pond has grown about 500gal. since buying the Savio 1450 to run the Savio filterfall when i was at 700-800gal at best? i still think i have good circulation with falls and fountain run by a 560gph at opposite end of pond? both pumps will sit at 35in depth. the 560 in a prefilter. i was going to wait on the skimmer for the second pond (smaller) connected by 10-12ft stream. but since im empty i could still dry plump it dont you think? after my $500 water bill next fill i want to be my last. plus i still want to mortar that rock in place. smack me in the head if im wrong! that little spring i was talking about is in the one place(last 11ft) of the 220ft of french drain, part of tomorrows project. after Addy1's comment i could use that if it is a natural spring to my bennefit(all that worry for nothing thank you all very much! in one day everybody has made me feel so much better. by the way i will get my 8yr old to get my blackberry to work with this mac stuff asap. plenty of pixs coming soon!! thanks to all of you!!!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh how sad your 8 year old .As we get older and our kids get smarter whats to become of us . They will start putting us in homes by the time we are 40 .geeze kids know more than us sad huh .Schools must be doing something right

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Rich.pond_create. You are not the only one addicted to their pond. My wife is convinced I talk to my fish! ( but i really don't!!) Re water under your liner and runoff from your neighbor, it sounds like your pond is set in a low area of your yard. You can probably fix that by raising the sides of your pond. I had the same problem with my first pond until I figured out how to fix it. Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hi cometkeith, the pond sits In the highest part of my yard. The French drain took care of the neighbors runoff. I live on natural protected wetlands and the pond is about 15-20ft above that water table. It could be a lot of that 8 in. snow melt we just had. Once I get that last leg of the French drain in tomorrow if it still there I will find a way to capture it and use it to my benefit! I will adapt and concor If not I just dug my own grave the wife will bury me in it! She has seen it up and running 4 times 3 different versions! I will post some pictures tomorrow. There is an outside kitchen in the plan for her! She is getting a little impatient lol!! By the way the blue herring on the wet lands are starting to circle the house! Thanks Keith

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The herons like ponds! captive sushi bar. Make it deep enough they won't like to stand in it. i have heard deeper than 18 inches works, no shallow plant shelves. They fly over mine, never have landed yet. But I have only two little tiny fish in it, if they survive this weather. We are 3.5 degrees right now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmm I always talk to my fish why not they can't argue with you or talk back .great concept huh

I also put some large black pipe in the bottom of my pond for fish to hide you can hardly tell it's there because it blends in and the fish love to swim in and out of it .In the winter they hide away in there ,I drilled holes in it so they get better oxygen flow and not small holes they are a half inch each .The pipes are around 8 inches in diameter (because Ag's fat) and 2 feet long .It's really funny when I have the oxygen pump going as I place the tubes under 2 of the pipes and the bubbles look pretty coming up through them .The fish like to play there with the bubbles there own personal spa and oh how pretty at night with the underwater lights .It's a real show in itself

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure but won't it break down after awhile .I would check that out first just in case .

hey if you want it to look like a ship wreck you need a treasure chest fortunes avast my mates

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Rich.pond-create, Re digging: I also started digging a French drain in my yard for water runoff this past summer so not all of the water in our yard would go in our basement. My wife started complaining about me digging another hole so I just threw in some rocks and covered it with a board. Now she wonders why it is still like that! Something about digging holes is very therapeutic especially when you sit in an office all day. At least you are creating something other than another spreadsheet or word doc.

Sissy re talking to your fish, I bet none of your fish have lawyers either. Thats my favorite part.

Reaction score
Yes it is VERY THEARPUTIC! Its my own little world out there. About to step outside to do my final dig on pond should be up and running by dark! I hope because the wife is giving me that look!!!!

Ask a Question