Hello from Boston

Reaction score
Could cut some filter material, that blue stuff form lowes, make some layers with it.
Thats a good idea
I just thought of another idea. Ive got 2 of those sponges that are used to wash cars. never opened
Think those would be safe to use?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
craft stores sell all natural sponges in 20 x 20 and you cut it to size .I use them for sponge painting and stuff like that .They are around 6 dollars here and are around 2 inches thick .They have other sizes also .Michaels and rag shop and hobby lobby carry them .Not sure if they all carry them .They have lots of nooks and cranny 's

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
As long as the sponges you use don't rot away and don't have chemicals I'm thinking they would work fine. Not sure about how fast the natural ones disintegrate but the fake ones prolly last a long time. The sponge filter that was in mine was not natural. Prolly nylon or something I'm guessing. You know how they talk about the plastic in the landfills lasting forever and ever.........well works good in filters anyways!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats a good idea
I just thought of another idea. Ive got 2 of those sponges that are used to wash cars. never opened
Think those would be safe to use?

I don't see why not, give them a try, if they don't swap them out.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Welcome! I think the car sponges would be fine as long as you rinse them well before use just to be sure they don't have anything in them. I once bought one of those large sponges for wallpapering, rinsed before use and the water looked soapy afterward.

Also, if you ever use any polyfil stuff make sure it is quilt batting, not fiberfil. Fiberfil is the stuff that comes in bags and is used for stuffing things like pillows, toys, etc. It pulls apart easily and can come apart leaving very fine threads of it in your water, which the fish might swallow. Most batting is needlepunched and condensed so it doesn't pull apart easily, hence why we quilters love it so much. :razz:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
fiberfill will be fine..i use it and have for years..it wont come apart, especially in covered trays in a pressure filter. i use it in a fishmate pressure filter for my fry. and for short term fines filtering in both ponds, outdoor and basement.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may find one works better than others and looking at things that might work with a different eye ,well you never know what you could come up with .Buffying machine pads would work also .I get them at lowes for 5 dollars and there are 4 different textures .extra fine ,fine ,medium and course

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I found some really tough stuff to use. My old lawn swing was falling apart and I cut the seat open and inside was this marvelous thick white fiber stuff. I'm using it for screening out the fine gunk under the falls now and it works great! So before you throw furniture away check the guts!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah jw, thinking out of the box...........congrats!

Reaction score
You may find one works better than others and looking at things that might work with a different eye ,well you never know what you could come up with .Buffying machine pads would work also .I get them at lowes for 5 dollars and there are 4 different textures .extra fine ,fine ,medium and course

We have these at work n I stopped in on my way to the pet store yesterday :redface:
Ended up getting a filter made for another canister. 2 snips n it fit perfectly.
After spending the day redoing the lines and the waterfall (the granite shelf weighs about 300 lbs) I couldn't see more then 2 inches deep.
24hrs later Dave,Skip,Karen,Thora,Barry,Keith,Jenn,Phil,Danny,and Noreen are all very happy in what looks to be bath water. :fish2:

Attachments

• IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 226

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear the gang is all nice and comfy in their nice clean home w/ your filter up and running great.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I found some really tough stuff to use. My old lawn swing was falling apart and I cut the seat open and inside was this marvelous thick white fiber stuff. I'm using it for screening out the fine gunk under the falls now and it works great! So before you throw furniture away check the guts!
I do the same thing....i started using fiberfill when i wanted a new pillow for the quest bed....tore open one of the ones i had it had a peice of egg crate foam and fiebrfill...i put the eggcrate on the bottom and fiberfill on top in my basement pond skimmer...theres really no noticable solids floating on top but i draw the water from a couple inches under the surface thru it and it catches ultra fines you cant even see...the water is gin clear, but when you see all that comes out when i wash out the fiberfill and foam, its amazing!! i do this every 4 or 5 days and the pillows are always on sale at Kmart for about $3.00...joe boxer brand.its a basement pond so you cant really have plants so a real good fines filtration system is very important..they are basically D.O.C.s and you dont want them in there.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
fiberfill will be fine..i use it and have for years..it wont come apart, especially in covered trays in a pressure filter. i use it in a fishmate pressure filter for my fry. and for short term fines filtering in both ponds, outdoor and basement.

That is good to know and thanks for correcting me. I knew someone who had some floating in their pond after using it in their skippy. Probably best to keep it contained.

Ask a Question