Hello from me & my little pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Great calculator! I used similar calculators with my reefs to figure out kalkwasser amounts, calcium, etc. for my corals.
I need to add a bit more than 3ozs baking soda, twice.
Ammonia tested the same as yesterday.
Ph was lower at about 7.5, tested once at the spot that gave me the 9 reading yesterday.

Thanks for your help, it’s definitely appreciated!
I've had reefs for 30 years as well, so I know what you're talking about.(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
But @MitchM, please explain how readings can be different when taken from different places within a pond. I understand how readings can differ if taken at different times, but shouldn’t ammonia and pH read the same if sampled from different places? I’m just confused.,...

Barb's pond has a low KH value which allows large swings in the PH, she took readings from areas in strong light vs a shaded area and I don't think the water circulation is as strong as it should be.
If the area in the strong light has a lot of algae, the CO2 level would be very low, which would raise the PH.
If the area in the shade had a lot of decaying detritus thatwould lower the PH, plus low water flow and maybe some operator error in the readings.
The variances can be corrected by a proper KH level and stronger water flow.

Ask a Question