Hello from Northern California

Reaction score
What's up everybody- I've got a 4 year old pond and it has 800+ gallons. I'm just going to poke around on this site and look for info on pond vacs.
Thanks- Steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Steve, welcome to the forums! :wave:

We'd love to see a photo of your pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome-1-1-1.gif
Steve

Poke around all you want! Post some pictures we love to look at other ponds

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome steve and hope you find all the info you need .Most of us net our ponds .I have snails in my pond and would not risk using a vac anymore .I used to use a shop vac to clean the pond but now with the snails I guess that is out also .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Sissy, same here don't want to hurt the snails, tads, water beetles, so just netting for me. But at least only need to do it a few times a season so not too bad.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep and was down by my pond yesterday and saw some of the snails and they were carrying babies on there backs .I must have gotten a few healthy breeders .I got me a stud snail LOL

Reaction score
I've got a few trees overhanging my pond and I get a bunch of leaves in it. I net a bunch but I also get a bunch that sink and becomes a mucky mess on the bottom. I sprinkle some Algae Off over them and it lifts it all up so I can net those. I'm thinking a pond vac would be easier and faster.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome7ty.gif
norcal
If you only get the majority of leaves falling in the fall/winter you could put a net over the pond just to catch the leaves for awhile. Guess if they are always falling than that's not the ticket! Or a skimmer might help. I too just use a pole net. A vacuum will work but I just don't like hurting the little buggers that might get sucked up. Course then I don't get many leaves around my pond thank you very much!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

There are a few threads on the topic of pond vacs. i have one and it wasn't cheap, not sure it was worth it as I only use it twice a year, once in the fall and then in the spring. I too have lots of leaves that blow and fall into the pond. If you have someone else in your family that has a pond maybe you could split the cost and share it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome to the Forum, Norcal. I'm sure you will find all sorts of good info on here.
I use a beneficial bacterial product that helps all the stuff that makes it to the bottom matt together. What I use is called Pond Perfect. I'm not a seller or anything, I just really like this product. I have a skimmer, so most leaves get there before they sink. But, whatever sinks, 2-3 times I year I use a net and hook one corner, and it's unbelievable how much of a carpet of whatever is down there comes up together. It's really slick stuff.
My sister in AZ has an Oase vacuum that she swears by. She uses the water she vacuums out to water her plants, trees and flowers in the area. Others talk about using shop vacs. Whatever works for you is all that matters. Good luck.

Reaction score
I used to keep ponds in San Jose, worked in Novato for a bit. That was a commute.

800 gal, leaves...can't beat a leaf rake for swimming pools. Scoop around on the bottom and you'll be clean in no time. Makes a mess initially, but the water settles. My vacuum comparison.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very nice, Norcal! Everyone always has such unique shapes and plantings around their ponds. I love to see all the differences, and yours is just that! Very unique, very appealing. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ask a Question