Hello from Ohio

Reaction score
I live in northern Ohio just installed our new pond this past weekend. It is 6 foot by 4 foot by 2 feet deep. We currently have 6 goldfish and one Koi. Yes we do know eventually the Koi will have to be removed into a larger pond, which we hope to build next summer. Our pond has a lot of natural elements such as plants, river rock coating the bottom and some natural field rock that we have made into little "caves" for their protection. We also made our own biosystem and so far the water is crystal clear.

Reaction score
Here is a picture of our pond, it is about 95% done just have to get more rock around the biofilter.

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
So as you all know we just put this pond and landscape in. Well we decided next spring (2014) we are going to make our own pond and have it larger! As the picture above we will be extending the pond an additional foot on each side of the existing pond the new pond would be (6 feet wide) and then we will extend a foot forward toward the front (3 feet). We will also be making is deeper (30'') The new pond would then be around 300 gallons. We currently have a pump that pumps 220 gallons. Will that pump be ok to still use? I was told the pump should be able to cycle the entire pond once within 2 hours and that pump would do the job. But I'd like more opinions. By the way the reason why we are making it larger is we never measured the pond and I posted the dimensions we were told but really we measured today and the pond is smaller. It's actually a foot and a half deep 4 feet wide and 2 feet wide, yeah I know we probably should have measured it before hand but being newbies and excited we didn't, now we are regretting putting that small pond in.

Reaction score
When we make the new pond should we elevate the sides about 2-3 inches so that no rain run off and chemicals from the mulch get into the pond?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Glad I am not the only one that made a mistake :cheerful:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
more than that because if you get heavy rain or snow melt with it that could lead to some of the die from the mulch washing in unless you use rubber mulch or use rock or gravel around the edges .I chose the white marble rocks since it brightens up the area around the pond .

Reaction score
Luckily for use the ground there doesn't hold water and just off the left hand side of the picture the yard slants down a little. Never had a water holding issue in that area, maybe we will up it a few more inches just to be on the safe side. Thanks!

Ask a Question