Hello from Ohio

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself and my husband (although I don't know that he will be posting here, hopefully he will atleast do some reading) My name is Maria and my husbands name is Jim. We live in north east ohio and have a small pond we put in our back yard about 4 years ago now.

At the time we didn't realize that we would need to have a deeper pond in order to be able to keep our fish outside over the winter. So I have had the pleasure of netting the fish every year at the end of summer early fall before it gets too cold outside and bringing them indoors. We use a rubbermaid livestock water trough for housing over the winter in our utility room. Then back outside in the spring to enjoy some time outdoors.

We have decided that it would be best to pull the preformed pond (approx 165 gallons) and dig the pond deeper and then lay a regular liner so that we can keep the fish outside all year. Apparently we need to have a pond atleast 3 feet deep in order to keep our fish safely outside over the winter.

I need to spend some time looking around the forum and then I'm sure I will have some questions for you. I will also share some photos of the current pond in another thread.

Looking forward to hearing about and seeing everyones pond pictures :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

to our group!

You will make the fish happy with a nice new big pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome ,you can always leave the preformed in and use it as plant filter for your bigger pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcomes and the tip. Wish we could leave the preform but the pond area is limited so we have to go deeper and not any larger in length or width.

Just to give you an idea this is what the area looks like:

Copy2ofpondpicturesmayjune2011lovebirdstiels058.jpg

Copy2ofpondpicturesmayjune2011lovebirdstiels056.jpg

Copy2ofpondpicturesmayjune2011lovebirdstiels155.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, and we do love to see pics! That's a cute little pond and the setting looks very serene! What kind of fish do you have?

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you! We do enjoy it :) Wish we had room for something larger, maybe some day.....

It's a bit overstocked (although the fish are not fully grown) with a five common goldfish, three calico shubunkins and one common pleco (I know he doesn't really belong out there but hubby insisted we get him) the pleco will be coming in the house once we re-do the pond. Then it will just be the goldies. I have fancy goldfish in the house and well as bettas, guppies and a few bn plecos (various different tanks)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello, I'm from Ohio also. Welcome, this is a great group here, they will answer any questions you have. We started with a little 90 gallon preform. Your pond looks lovely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You can if you wish buy larger preformed ponds , we too have a lack of space but managed to shoehorn into a small back garden a pond of 1,000 Imperial Gallons.
Check out the internet for them .
Welcome for Plymouth UK :D

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is a cute pond and shame to take it out .I did the same thing a small preformed and then built bigger and took the small one out but wish I had not taken it out ,but I had the space though .

Ask a Question