Hello from Penna.

Reaction score
I build my own pond about 10-12 years ago, dug the hole and all. When I was younger.
I have 3 nice Koi -1 butterfly, 1 blue, 1 metallic, plus about 6-7 smaller mix of fish. We build a Skippy filter to clean the pond about 2 years after being build, it has worked very well. This weekend I bought a Tetra Pond 9W UV to attach to the line to kill the algea. Algea has been a problem this year - never before. I enjoy my pond and watching the fish.
We build our own falls with the filter behind it. I change some plants off and on to see what I'd like to keep in the pond. Always have lilies, they are a sure thing.
Oh, I also have 2 frogs in the pond.
My pond has 3 layers. The deepest spot is about 3 to 3 1/2 feet deep, than a step up with a ledge about 10 inches wide, than another step up and the rest of the pond is about 6-7 feet of about 1 1/2 ft. deep. I made an island on one end, just a little away from the falls - this is where the frogs love to sit. I also keep a low light in 1 corner on 24/7 to attract bugs for the frog(read this was helpful)

Attachments

• Frog on stone with worm 2010.JPG
    Frog on stone with worm 2010.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 208

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, sounds like a nnice well balanced pond. Please show some pics and enjoy the forum.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome dc and think your problem just like some of ours relates to the heavy rains and extreme temperature changes we all have been getting .So don't worry you are not alone .I can't seem to get my pond balanced right because of the rain .We got 1 really big downpour friday and I just got my pond just about right .Now we are getting 90+ degree days .The weather has been strange lately

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I'll have to take some new pics from this year, only thing is I do not have too many plants.
Update on the green pond - as I mentioned we installed a UV on Saturday. Today, Monday when we went out to check on the pond I am clear, can see the bottom and see all my fish. It is a wonder that the pond could clear up that fast just by placing a UV within the line. I am amazed.
I was on here till almost midnight last night and found a lot of info I never knew and ideas to try with my pond and Skippy filter.
Thank you everyone again.Will work on some pictures

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
dc11648 said:
Thank you everyone. I'll have to take some new pics from this year, only thing is I do not have too many plants.
Update on the green pond - as I mentioned we installed a UV on Saturday. Today, Monday when we went out to check on the pond I am clear, can see the bottom and see all my fish. It is a wonder that the pond could clear up that fast just by placing a UV within the line. I am amazed.
I was on here till almost midnight last night and found a lot of info I never knew and ideas to try with my pond and Skippy filter.
Thank you everyone again.Will work on some pictures

want to save your UV light for longer use time between replacement bulbs? Run your light for about a week and unplug. use it when you start seeing a noticable green tint returning. You'll find that once it's killed off and the filter is working properly you may not need it again for a while, this sure makes the bulb last a lot longer as they only have a limited amount of use time.

Reaction score
thank you again for the information. We were wonder if once we clear the water up with the UV if turning it off till we see something would work. Just can not believe how good it worked. As mentioned I've spent at least $100 within the past 2 mos. trying to clear it up and with no luck. I buy the UV and in 2 days the water is clear, I see the bottom, see the fish. Now I can check my fish out from winter5 - this is the first time I've truely able to see the fish. I have seen the frog and the fish at the top for a short period of time..

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi dc11648. Welcome! I have a bullfrog like that, but a little smaller. My family wants nothing to do with the fish, but they get excited every time the frog comes out and sunbathes!

Ask a Question