hello there

Reaction score
Hi everyone new to the forum my name is brendan had a pond for couple of years with just goldfish and comets and orfe iv always loved ponds so im going to start buying some koi and start turning it in to some sort of a koi pond not all koi but mostly so i joined this forum to get some advice and to learn more about pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!
welcome670.jpg

How big is your pond, koi need a lot of space! and we love giving advice, even if nobody takes it! laughing

Reaction score
Hi im only buying small koi so i can watch them grow then probably sell them my pond is about lenght 11 feet, width 6 feet and depth 2.5 feet i think thats about 1000 to 1100 gallons do you think that will be big enough.thanks

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you get cold there? if so 2.5 feet is not deep enough for them in the winter. Most people with koi in cold areas aim for 4 feet plus in depth.

Reaction score
not really cold iv got 1 koi whats about 10" thats been in my pond for about 2 to 3 years and thats got through the cold weather. Thats why i want to start getting more koi because iv only got the one and i like all the different varieties of koi.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks very nice and to me it seems you could have Koi in there but just be careful you don't over populate. They are more expensive than the goldies so when you lose one you can lose a lot unless you tend to find some nice cheapies and don't mind if they aren't pedigreed :rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice pond set up you have there eckobren, nice frogs too!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!
You are off to a good start. While there are a lot of opinions on fish load, I have always used 1 to 100 gallons, providing you have good circulation, areation and bio filter to keep the levels safe.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A six inch fish for 100 gallons...............

There are a couple of general rules to determine how many fish your pond can sustain. Unless you have an elaborate filtration system, it's better to have fewer fish than more. Too many fish can quickly overload the pond with high amounts of ammonia that may spike in the hot summer months, causing the loss of all the fish over night.

The total surface area, size and type of filtration system, flow rate, temperature and climate should all be considered when determining the right amount of fish for your pond.

* One 6" fish for every hundred gallons of water OR

* 1" of fish per 10 gallons of water OR

* Total gallons of pond divided by 200 = Total 6" fish in pond

Ask a Question