Hello to all

Reaction score
Hello,
I just found this site,WOW lots of good info here. My wife and I will be starting our first pond here in the upcoming weeks. We have a large backyard and want something to enjoy together out there. we will be posting up questions and then more questions Im sure.
thanks for all the wonderful info and photo's you have all posted,we will be sharing our project here as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome!, I am fairly new to this forum too and I am also impressed by the wealth of knowledge of the members and how friendly everyone is. Remember with new ponds less is more. Start with less fish and don't over feed. Also make sure you read up on how to cycle a pond before you add your fish. Good luck with your pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome ickabob, you have joined the pond fanatics!

Reaction score
CometKeith said:
Welcome!, I am fairly new to this forum too and I am also impressed by the wealth of knowledge of the members and how friendly everyone is. Remember with new ponds less is more. Start with less fish and don't over feed. Also make sure you read up on how to cycle a pond before you add your fish. Good luck with your pond!

Thanks for the welcome ComeKeith, and for the heads up on the how to cycle, I read everything that was posted now my brain hurts....thanks again:confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ickabob said:
Thanks for the welcome ComeKeith, and for the heads up on the how to cycle, I read everything that was posted now my brain hurts....thanks again:confused:

lol when you start your building post pictures, your build tread, if you need help just post the question in your thread. Makes it easy for those that are trying to help to know what you are attempting.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome to the group ickabob...we are all here to help, or atleast try to. dont hesitate to ask questions .. altho you'll find many of your questios have already been answered if you spend some time reading threads already posted. remember that the only stupid question is the one you dont ask!!! good luck and happy ponding!

Reaction score
addy1 said:
lol when you start your building post pictures, your build tread, if you need help just post the question in your thread. Makes it easy for those that are trying to help to know what you are attempting.

Thanks, I will post pictures as the build starts and will take any help I can get. I read your build theard and enjoyed it,what a wonderful pond you made. I have been collecting rocks and a few small boulders so far,today I found a nice 55 gal.drum that I could use for the filter.This weekend we will be removing the sod from the pond and waterfall area and capping the sprinklers off.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ickabob said:
. I read your build theard and enjoyed it,what a wonderful pond you made.

Thank you, it is still a work in progress. Next spring we are going to get the external pump running and maybe some fish in it! lol

We are just staying with goldies maybe some shubunkins.

Go as deep and big as you can, it makes the pond more stable and gives the fish a chance against predators. Like a lot have mentioned, plant shelves give herons etc a place to stand and fish. lol I have a plant shelf in front of the bog wall, but it is 2 feet deep. Deeper than the herons like to be.

My pond in hot arizona is around 5 feet deep, never had a heat issue with the water. In cold maryland I made this one around 5-6 feet deep at the deepest point.

Most of all have fun!

Reaction score
ponderpaul said:
Welcome to the forum:regular_waving_emot - May the glory return!

Thanks for the welcome everybody, Who would know that the day I lined up a sod cutter,a friend to help and take the sod it would rain? It never rains in socal. So tomorrow will build the biofilter. have a good weekend friends...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, I agree with addy1, go as deep and as large as you can. It will keep the water quality more stable and protects them from predators. I actually think it is good to have plant shelves. It adds more surface area to your pond relative to the volume. Surface area is really important in the Summer when O2 levels drop at night and fish struggle to get enough of it. I love my Comets too. Especially in the spring when they chase each other for hours on end!

Ask a Question