HELP! Above ground pond

Reaction score
Im having trouble, if im building a cinder block pond on top of concrete do i need to some how get down lower? or is possible to just build right on top of the concrete. Its very bothersome thanks.

Reaction score
I dont want any digging or nothing involved, i just want to start building right on top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are people here who understand construction far better than I, so I will leave it to them to try to help you understand what you need to do to build a concrete block structure that will be structurally sound.

But I will say this - sometimes what we WANT to do and what we NEED to do are two different things. If you want your project to be successful and long lasting, which I'm sure you do, you need to understand the basics of constructing a cement block wall. Can it be built on top of existing cement? Sure. Will it hold up to the pressure being applied by the water from the inside out? Doubtful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It seems like you got the answer to your question in your other thread - I'm not sure why you started this one?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I, too, will let the experts report in on this one. I've seen many articles and forum posts where people failed to follow common construction practices (for whatever reasons), and their ponds failed as well. You don't want to take shortcuts.

I was just reading your other thread, and from what I understand, you want to go from the ground (or rather, from concrete) up, IOW, by stacking cinder blocks but without having the structure secured to the ground in any way. Is that correct?

Is there a reason you don't want to dig a footer?

And to answer another question (other thread), it will take A LOT of bags of Quik-Crete to fill all those cinder blocks! We just did some renovations on our pond -- it seemed like one 60# bag filled maybe 2 blocks, on average.

Reaction score
There are people here who understand construction far better than I, so I will leave it to them to try to help you understand what you need to do to build a concrete block structure that will be structurally sound.

But I will say this - sometimes what we WANT to do and what we NEED to do are two different things. If you want your project to be successful and long lasting, which I'm sure you do, you need to understand the basics of constructing a cement block wall. Can it be built on top of existing cement? Sure. Will it hold up to the pressure being applied by the water from the inside out? Doubtful.
So, rebar and cementing inside the block is a MUST. Sorry, because I have seen videos and tutorials and they all seem to put it in ground a feet or so.

Reaction score
I, too, will let the experts report in on this one. I've seen many articles and forum posts where people failed to follow common construction practices (for whatever reasons), and their ponds failed as well. You don't want to take shortcuts.

I was just reading your other thread, and from what I understand, you want to go from the ground (or rather, from concrete) up, IOW, by stacking cinder blocks but without having the structure secured to the ground in any way. Is that correct?

And to answer another question (other thread), it will take A LOT of bags of Quik-Crete to fill all those cinder blocks! We just did some renovations on our pond -- it seemed like one 60# bag filled maybe 2 blocks, on average.
The reason why I don't want to, well let's say this is being built for my father, he has sprinkler system EVERYwhere.. I tried to to make it happen but they are plugged in everywhere.. I'm just worried about it being planted on the concrete if that's normal and okay.

Reaction score

What's the pricing per bag? I thought we could use cement.. But this quik product seems more handy and less trouvle some. Another route would be using wood..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Why multiple threads asking the same thing? Makes it to confusing to answer anything. I put a video on the other post, you may want to watch it. It is very easy to cut a larger pipe in half and then put it over your sprinkler line to act as a pass thru. Then pour your footing around it. If it was my yard I would relocate the sprinklers because if you ever have a problem then the pond on top of the lines would make for a very tough repair. I would do a bit more research before you start just building. Best of luck

Ask a Question