Help ID my fish plz

Reaction score
What kind of goldfish... Bought one and want to get a second one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 367

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like a variation of a Shubunkin and a nice one it is! Would sure love to have one like that.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's a shubunkin. Not an easy color to find. best bet id look where there are a large # to choose from. White based shubunkin would normally be culled at a young age, by the time they are two to three inches long most people would overlook them and go with a fish with more coloration. That's why I say go somewhere that has a bunch of shubunkins in stock because most likely if your lucky enough to find another one it will probably be hidden in a tank of a lot fish not really noticed.

Reaction score
Thanks guys... I guess I got really lucky... She is very beautiful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
Got a question and its dumb. I think one of my shubunkins was a mix of sarosa comets and shubunkins, it was white with the orange patches and black spots. My freckled shubunkins didn't have the stripes on their tails as most shubunkins seem to have. Their offspring displayed mixed color combos of all three. Am I wrong to think that they can successfully intermate and create color combos? I have black comets with fan and regular tails they have a golden glow under the black. Could they be the recessive genes of the comet? In humans blue eyes are recessive and 2 brown eye parents can have blue eyed kids. Also koi and gold fish can or can't mate and have offspring?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got a question and its dumb. I think one of my shubunkins was a mix of sarosa comets and shubunkins, it was white with the orange patches and black spots. My freckled shubunkins didn't have the stripes on their tails as most shubunkins seem to have. Their offspring displayed mixed color combos of all three. Am I wrong to think that they can successfully intermate and create color combos? I have black comets with fan and regular tails they have a golden glow under the black. Could they be the recessive genes of the comet? In humans blue eyes are recessive and 2 brown eye parents can have blue eyed kids. Also koi and gold fish can or can't mate and have offspring?
Koi and goldfish are separate species. They can interbreed, but their offspring are sterile.

All goldfish are in the same species, so yes, they can all interbreed with each other and produce hybrid young. I just read that there are about 125 varieties (think breed) of goldfish -- wow! Over time, GF were bred for various characteristics such as color, type of caudal fin, body shape, etc. Think of it like dog breeds. I also read an article that said it would only take 3 generations for GF to revert to the natural olive color -- not saying I believe that timeline. I don't recall who it was or what the numbers were (I'll have to go back and search, 'cause I think it was a response to one of my threads a while back), but one of our GPF members stated that GF have a huge number of genes that are involved with color -- whereas koi only have a few combinations. That explains why it's easier to put koi in the various color/pattern categories.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow. I have not seen that variety, most black/white or they call black opal shubby will have bluish base white (does that even make sense?) try google black opal shubunkin, they are similar, sell from black water creek farm if I remember correctly. They also sell on ebay.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow. I have not seen that variety, most black/white or they call black opal shubby will have bluish base white (does that even make sense?) try google black opal shubunkin, they are similar, sell from black water creek farm if I remember correctly. They also sell on ebay.

120 for three

black%20opal%20psd.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Black Opal Shubunkins are so pretty, No picture does them justice, they actually have a iridescent color to them and the black is like the ink black on high quality Koi. I recently saw a picture of a Bristol Black Opal. I imagine the price tag on it was far more than mosr would ever pay for a pond fish. But if I could ever get babies I would dedicate a pond just to them.

Ask a Question