Help me decide on a Name

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well "Peaty" is doing well hanging out with my Fat Koi...... He eat this afternoon like he hasn't been fed in weeks...... And the poor little guy probably hasn't been fed in weeks..... Long story Short about how my friend came across the fish, but a couple breaking up and neither wanted the fish..... So they went neglected for months...... The other fish went to the farm pond...... That's not a bad life either they feed the catfish, Koi and Bluegill every day, the Bass live off the offspring of the above...... And yes Meyer Rapunsal would be a good name., poor guys fins are so shredded they look like hair.... Lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well "Peaty" is doing well hanging out with my Fat Koi...... He eat this afternoon like he hasn't been fed in weeks...... And the poor little guy probably hasn't been fed in weeks..... Long story about how my friend came across the fish, but a couple breaking up and neither wanted the fish..... So they went neglected for months...... The other fish went to the farm pond...... That's not a bad life either they feed the catfish, Koi and Bluegill every day, the Bass live off the offspring of the above...... And yes Meyer Rapunsal would be a good name., poor guys fins are so shredded they look like hair.... Lol Jimmy
Also I realized that I feed my fish way too much...... Compared to Petey mine need to go to Weight Watchers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
315549F7-38DC-4927-A084-58E957857D9D.jpeg
E57958B1-5B59-412E-B023-F58838161F4B.jpeg
6773191C-BF62-4DA9-8F8A-A8407987C8FE.jpeg
861FFD95-3854-4C3C-893B-9A9EDEC8F971.jpeg
View attachment 104425 View attachment 104426 View attachment 104427 View attachment 104428 My friend that has a very nice Koi pond and also a two acre farm pond that has game fish and excess Koi..... But he called said he come across a someone that was getting out of the pond business and he ended up with their fish...... He put all but one into his farm pond, kept this one out had it in a 55 gallon barrel with an aerator line in it...... Now I am not a "Conisuer of Fine High Price Koi "..... But I always try to find some that are different...... This one definitely fits that category...... Trying to decide if I call "Him. Her. ... Or it......"Butt" or "Ugly"..... You guys help me decide.....lol Jimmy
Just an update on Petey / Butt Ugly..... He has assimilated into the group amazingly well, and is a eating machine. He is pretty friendly considering and other than his fins being shredded I can't see a belimish on him. Petey has joined the ranks of anchor fish, Donald, Hillary , and now Petey..... All three came from terrible situations so the others might come and go, they have a home for life

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't think he's "Butt Ugly", I think he's actually cute!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't think he's "Butt Ugly", I think he's actually cute!:)
Naw..... Just joking about the Butt Ugly..... But the little guy wouldn't go for high dollars at a Koi Show, but Sarah and I have looked at alot of Koi in the last year and a half and tend to go for "Unique" . I have "Way" too many Koi in my pond Now..... Thankfully my bio filtration has stepped up to the challenge..... I kept 10 of the babies from last spring just to see how they would turn out, but out of those I am only keeping one, found a good home for them I told the lady I would keep them over the winter and when I did the spring cleaning I would bring them to her.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Naw..... Just joking about the Butt Ugly..... But the little guy wouldn't go for high dollars at a Koi Show, but Sarah and I have looked at alot of Koi in the last year and a half and tend to go for "Unique" . I have "Way" too many Koi in my pond Now..... Thankfully my bio filtration has stepped up to the challenge..... I kept 10 of the babies from last spring just to see how they would turn out, but out of those I am only keeping one, found a good home for them I told the lady I would keep them over the winter and when I did the spring cleaning I would bring them to her.....
I see videos on koi shows, and to be honest I like my low quality koi much better than the show quality ones!
What did you do to improve your filter?
I dont name. just cause i dont want to get attached.
Only one of mine has a name, yet I managed to get attached to almost all of the others too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I dont name. just cause i dont want to get attached.
I see videos on koi shows, and to be honest I like my low quality koi much better than the show quality ones!
What did you do to improve your filter?

Only one of mine has a name, yet I managed to get attached to almost all of the others too!
Gemma I built my pond last year starting July 14 and turning the pump on the first time November 26..... When I built my pond I spent hours on forums, not only this one, websites Ect, and two different pond friends that have had ponds for years, and took their wish list and filtered all the information and bought my equipment..... Then because of "New Pond Madness" . On January 21th we got Donald and Hillary (10lbs plus), February 4th we got four 8" Koi from Liberty High School, and another from a local Koi pond builder, so basically I put 7 Koi into an uncycled pond. March was a nightmare, ammonia sky high, fish flashing, ..... Thanks to help from alot of folks from this forum, thousands of gallons of water changes a good part of a quart of Pond Prime, my pond finally cycled. I think I picked out good equipment that works for me. Have very little ammonia, with all the plants I put in Nitrates and Nitrites almost zero. I would not recommend my method of starting a new pond to anyone...... Not worth the stress..... And if you guys knew how many inches of Koi I have right now per gallon of water, it would freak you out...... But that number will be cut in half in the spring, this is a Public Service Announcement of how not to start a new pond.....Jimmy

Last edited:

Ask a Question