Help Me Love My Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
also, don't use the fabric pots--use plastic ones as they're a lot harder for the plant to escape from. I've had pickerl rush for a few years now and don't find it invasive at all. Maybe mine is too deep at 12" but I doubt it as I see it growing naturally in public ponds I pass. I like pickerel rush as the flower and even the singular stalk with very few leaves, is unique and adds something to the pond. I like to have mine near the mid to background though and let smaller plants take the fore.

You could get some water hyacinth or water lettuce and that would also help with filtering the water column. They reproduce fast though so you'll be composting from about midsummer on but they're both great pond plants, imo. These two might even survive your winters whereas here, they're annuals and I have to overwinter in the basement if I want early plants in the pond.
How do you overwinter water hyacinth? I hear it doesn't work out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've tried overwintering water hyacinths and water lettuce in an aquarium indoors with bad results. They seem to last for a while, but then die off. I think if the winters here in Pennsylvania (zone 6A) are just too long. I think if the winters were a bit shorter, they would make it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made a trip to Home Depot this morning to see what they had as far as aquatic plants and to see what plastic buckets they have. Very disappointed. No plants, the buckets were either too tall or too shallow, or at least that's what I thought. All I came home with was a cherry tomato plant. Haha.

For the pickerel rush I used 8" tall bags last time. I think it will be easier to find a rectangular tub than an actual pot. I'll be more inclined to remove for a trim too since it would be easy to lift out compared to the bags.

I'm guessing the taller the tub, the further out of the water the pickerel rush will stick?
My maximum depth when the pond is completely full of water would be about 16 inches.

This is the stuff I grew them in last time with good results, but was wondering if there's something better/cheaper I should be using.
I had also put in a slow release fertilizer stick in each bag so that might have attributed to the excessive growth. lol

81QuCcIITJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I was able to save three of the pickerel rush from the brush pile. I'm probably only going to keep the one in the middle though. Hanging out until I find it's new home.
PXL_20210406_225730377.jpg

Water hyacinths look nice, but I think the flower color is too similar to the pickerel rush. I like contrast. I was looking at water lettuce, but was worried about my zone (7b) and them not making it through the winter. Plus our spring weather is rather unpredictable. The pond's current water temperature is 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

I wouldn't mind attempting to overwinter something indoors. I have a seed starting setup that I built. The light I have is way overkill for seedlings. I've found it easier and cheaper to just buy seedlings ready to plant. The room it's in stays pretty toasty in the winter and I could supply however much light the plants would need.
I'm thinking I could get a tub and siphon out the water every now and then. I have rain barrels so I could supply whatever I'm overwintering fresh rain water whenever. I'd make sure to bring the water inside to come to room temp first of course.
I think it would be a fun little experiment. Leave some outside and bring some inside and just see what happens.

Another note for planning is that the pond is recessed behind a small retaining wall. You can't really see what's inside unless you're standing right next to it. It will basically only be enjoyed from the porch looking down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the new version of your pond is still only one foot deep, I wouldn't put any fish in there. The water will heat up too much in summer and get too cold in winter.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most of us here use plain unscented kitty litter to grow pond plants. Its pure clay, you just need to be sure it says allclay, not clumping or scented. I just picked up another 4 bags from Tractor Supply, $9 for 50 pounds. I've been using Osmocote in my lilies and Pond Tabbs for lotus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword - I wonder if some plants are less invasive in cooler climates, like where you are? I agree with you about the fabric pots. I like them, since they are easy to squish in between rocks and such. But the plants escape them easily!
I'm in SE MI and despite the fact the local DNR claims such plants like parrots feather are invasive, I've yet to keep it alive during the winter, except maybe this year as I put some under my tent, while still putting some in the basement. I'm just surprised to hear the pickerel rush as invasive. Oh, I can see it would do well but invasive to me means it's a weed. I've had my crop for probably 7 years now and I have maybe two oil pans full. I moved it this year to a more 'wetland' situation and out of the pond proper, but that is more because of esthetics. I guess I'll see if the move makes it grow to obnoxious limits!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't had much luck with hyacinths. Taking about 4 or so to the basement usually ends up with one left struggling along. This year, though, I think they've done better since I put some in with my tropical water lily. This aquarium I've upped the temp and lowered the light fixture so it's right above them and they seem to be in better health. So, I think the key is higher light and warmer water.

Now, most don't bother as they're pretty cheap to purchase every year but I like to have plants in as soon as possible and since I'm already overwintering plants, it doesn't hurt to keep on trying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I made a trip to Home Depot this morning to see what they had as far as aquatic plants and to see what plastic buckets they have. Very disappointed. No plants, the buckets were either too tall or too shallow, or at least that's what I thought. All I came home with was a cherry tomato plant. Haha.

For the pickerel rush I used 8" tall bags last time. I think it will be easier to find a rectangular tub than an actual pot. I'll be more inclined to remove for a trim too since it would be easy to lift out compared to the bags.

I'm guessing the taller the tub, the further out of the water the pickerel rush will stick?
My maximum depth when the pond is completely full of water would be about 16 inches.

This is the stuff I grew them in last time with good results, but was wondering if there's something better/cheaper I should be using.
I had also put in a slow release fertilizer stick in each bag so that might have attributed to the excessive growth. lol

View attachment 137689

I was able to save three of the pickerel rush from the brush pile. I'm probably only going to keep the one in the middle though. Hanging out until I find it's new home.
View attachment 137690

Water hyacinths look nice, but I think the flower color is too similar to the pickerel rush. I like contrast. I was looking at water lettuce, but was worried about my zone (7b) and them not making it through the winter. Plus our spring weather is rather unpredictable. The pond's current water temperature is 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

I wouldn't mind attempting to overwinter something indoors. I have a seed starting setup that I built. The light I have is way overkill for seedlings. I've found it easier and cheaper to just buy seedlings ready to plant. The room it's in stays pretty toasty in the winter and I could supply however much light the plants would need.
I'm thinking I could get a tub and siphon out the water every now and then. I have rain barrels so I could supply whatever I'm overwintering fresh rain water whenever. I'd make sure to bring the water inside to come to room temp first of course.
I think it would be a fun little experiment. Leave some outside and bring some inside and just see what happens.

Another note for planning is that the pond is recessed behind a small retaining wall. You can't really see what's inside unless you're standing right next to it. It will basically only be enjoyed from the porch looking down.
I use a plastic rubbermaid container, probably something to put baked goods in. It's similar to the oil pan except rectangular instead of round. Shouldn't matter how tall your container is, but I'd make it at least 6". I haven't had any pickerel rush escape and they don't seem as prone as the lilies.

Water hyacinth flowers are lighter in color than pickerel rush but that's not why you'd get one; it's for the variance in leaf/plant texture compared to the pickerel rush. Remember, these plants don't bloom all summer, usually just once, so you'll be seeing the foliage 95% of the time anyhow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@brokensword Thanks for the confirmation on container. I was able to find one just the right size at Wal-Mart this morning. It's only slighty larger than the fabric pots I used last time.

@mrsclem They also had the Special Kitty litter in the red bag. Scent free and non-clumping. I still have some of the aquatic plan media left over too. I guess I'll just use it up first and top off with kitty litter.

PXL_20210409_141959131.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've been trying to eliminate all the kitty litter I used to use. The last couple of years I've gone to using plain sand like play sand. The kitty litter can get pretty rancid over the years, especially if, like me, you aren't that attentive to repotting the lilies. Sand doesn't do that as quickly, so I've gone to using that.

Everything else is planted in river rocks in pots of various types. No soil of any type. The rocks hold the plants in place and the plants do amazingly well that way.

I like that pan for lilies. I have used most anything I could find. Dish pans, cat litter pans, whatever has that basic shape and is a reasonable price. I even have some round ones that are made for growing water lilies, but those tend to be more expensive.

Best of luck with your new pond. Looks like you are doing a nice job with it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@WaterGardener Thank you! For now the only plant I have is pickerel rush. I do plan on getting a water lily next. I don't necessarily mind repotting, just trying to get some plants in there at the moment. Kind of a learn as I go thing.

My main goals this year are to work on keeping up with proper trimming of the plants and building a bog filter.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of container I want to use for the bog. I believe this is a 165 gallon pond so I'm looking for something in the 17-25 gallon range. I'd like to reuse the spillway, but not required. It's already a pain to get to the back side of the pond so I don't really want to dig, so the bog container will be above ground.

I'm handy with tools and DIY, but sometimes lack in the creativity department to make something like this look nice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just potted up the pickerel rush. I used the last of the aquatic plant media in the bottom to get rid of it.

PXL_20210409_220306845.jpg

I also added a fertilizer stick just because I had them. Don't know if they really helped last time, but I do know they didn't hurt.

PXL_20210409_221203447.jpg

I added kitty litter and planted the pickerel rush making sure the rhizome is pointed the right direction so it will grow across the pot. Much better price at $4 for 25 pounds compared to $40 for 10 pounds of the aquatic plant media.

PXL_20210409_221132589.jpg

The cloudiness of the water concerns me, but I assume it will dissipate/filter out and not be noticeable in the pond.
I plan to pick up a bag of pea gravel tomorrow to cover the kitty litter for aesthetics.

So if I did anything completely wrong it wont be going into the pond until at least tomorrow morning.
Still have time to correct any mistakes. Haha.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks good I always get the cloud of litter dust it just goes away and a lot of people put fine clay into their ponds for the fishes health. Like koi clay which is fine clay

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pickerel are in just litter I have not fed them in about 6 years they grow just fine. I do have fish poo.

Ask a Question