Help my poor Goldie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_5658.JPG
IMG_5659.JPG
I had a blind goldfish in my pond. He was a rescue and came to me blind. I felt bad for him and took him in. He always hangs at the shallow end away from the much bigger Koi. Somehow he managed to get in the bag with my submersible pump. He was only in there a day before I found him. He acted like he wasn't going to make it but any time I tried to net him he would swim away again. I pulled him this morning after noticing white spots on him. Now it appears he has developed a fungus of some sort and I am freaking out. Any idea what this is and will he infect the rest of my Koi fish?! I don't want my beautiful Koi to get this. I can't get a good look at them to see if they already have it because they aren't use to me yet and hide in the deep end. Ugh! Can I treat the entire pond just to be safe?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be ick but looks longer and not cottony .But salt will help but why is the fish laying on his side or was he swimming like that .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It could be ick but looks longer and not cottony .But salt will help but why is the fish laying on his side or was he swimming like that .

Yeah sissy he has been swimming on his side ever since he got caught with the pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Likely Saprolegnia. Treat this fish with an anti-fungal s.uch as Malachite Green in quarantine. Do not treat the whole pond.
The fish has obviously sustained some physical injury.

OK that's what I was wondering my main concern is the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

The stuff on the back of his head is kind of cottony.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Awww... poor guy! I second that recommendation to listen to @Meyer Jordan . No sick fish experience here to share - I'll just hope for the best for your little fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry for him. Unfortunately I think it is an uphill battle for him to recover 100%. You would definitely need to quarantine him for quite some time. Honestly I have never done that for a goldfish. I would remove him from the rest of your fish population as soon as possible. They say there is always some bacteria present in every pond, but you definitely don't want to expose your Koi to it more of it than necessary.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Quarantine it!

why did you let a blind gold fish with koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I am new here! still, I have heard people say not to touch fish too often.It will remove the healthy slime coating making it prone to infection.

Ask a Question