Help my poor Goldie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Easy there @Rajesh - a blind goldfish needs a pond, too. ;)

Goldfish and koi can live in the same pond. This one just got himself into a bit of trouble.

It need it's own separate space, it can't compete with others for food.:(

Fish try to isolate themself when they are sick, but other fishes around make it worse.:cry:

I am sorry, if I sound rude. But fact is fact.

I have see in an aquarium, sick fish end up becoming just floating heads with missing body.:eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, blind doesn't necessarily mean sick. Although in this case the fish has developed an infection, it wasn't necessarily sick when it was put in the pond. And I was just teasing you a bit - I know you weren't trying to be rude.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Only 4 days of treatment but I'm happy to report that Goldie is stable. Most of the cottony substance came off and he's swimming much better now. Looks like he will be spending winter indoors with me this year.

Attachments

• IMG_5688.JPG
    IMG_5688.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 324
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Quarantine it!

why did you let a blind gold fish with koi?

This fish came to me blond already. I rescued it. The koi didn't blind him. Someone who cleaned their fish tank with soap and didn't rinse it out well enough blinded him. They were going to flush him and I felt bad for him. He does fine with the koi. He doesn't eat the same food they do. Since he is blind, he only eats algae and other bits off of the bottom of the pond. He was actually in the pond before the koi came along but they don't chase him or anything. He likes the more shallow waters while they prefer the deep end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, blind doesn't necessarily mean sick. Although in this case the fish has developed an infection, it wasn't necessarily sick when it was put in the pond. And I was just teasing you a bit - I know you weren't trying to be rude.

No it wasn't sick when it was put in the pond. He's been blind for about 3 years now if not longer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Only 4 days of treatment but I'm happy to report that Goldie is stable. Most of the cottony substance came off and he's swimming much better now. Looks like he will be spending winter indoors with me this year.

Oh, yay! He looks great! Good job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh, yay! He looks great! Good job!

I swear the poor thing is invincible. :D I also forgot to mention I took him out of the 50 degree pond and dropped him into a 73 degree aquarium without thinking! :nailbiting: I think I'll call him Lucky. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I swear the poor thing is invincible. :D I also forgot to mention I took him out of the 50 degree pond and dropped him into a 73 degree aquarium without thinking! :nailbiting: I think I'll call him Lucky. :)

Here, the store suggested to set heater to 77 deg F(25 deg C) for molly tank.(n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now my fish seems to be developing black on his fins and under his neck. :( He is swimming fine and acting like his old self though. Could this be from the treatment or is this an entirely separate issue?! :cry:

Attachments

• IMG_5694.JPG
    IMG_5694.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 258
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You don't really need a heater for goldfish. Some people keep them in fish bowls.

:) these are two of my shubunkin goldfish,
my goldfish33.jpg

:LOL: its good if i compare it to black spots on my fishes,
:eek: I would have been worrying about pink patches on your fish head and sides, I am no fish expert.

Hope it recover fast and stay healthy, wish the same for you too, stay healthy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:) these are two of my shubunkin goldfish,
View attachment 106324
:LOL: its good if i compare it to black spots on my fishes,
:eek: I would have been worrying about pink patches on your fish head and sides, I am no fish expert.

Hope it recover fast and stay healthy, wish the same for you too, stay healthy!

The white patches are from where the fungus or bacteria was growing on him. Those spots are actually getting better. The black spots are new and seem to be spreading.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Now my fish seems to be developing black on his fins and under his neck. :( He is swimming fine and acting like his old self though. Could this be from the treatment or is this an entirely separate issue?! :cry:

You might want to read this.
You obviously have something that is causing an imbalance in the water quality resulting in stressed and immune-compromised fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Update: My blind gold fish is still in the house in an aquarium. I've come to the conclusion the odd way he swims through the water is linked to his blindness. He is doing very well indoors so I guess that's where he will stay.

Ask a Question