help needed on water loss

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi all, my name whiskey[terry] im new to forum. Got problems with water loss in my two level double pond. No leaks in both ponds or pipework from filters. So thought it must be in the link, between two ponds. on inspection slight water under lining now cured hopefully. QUESTION: how much natural water loss would two ponds 6mtsx3mts[lower] and 4mtsx3mts[upper] lose through evaporation outlet pumping 9000 [lower]+3500 [upper]+1200 [skimmer] = 13700lts ph waterfall directly into top pond. ANY HELP OR ADVICE PLEASE.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a pond around 28 feet x 15 feet with a stream waterfalls etc, hot sun, been warm, lose maybe an inch a week sometimes more sometimes less. it really depends on your weather, the sun, the wind, splash, it is real hard to say how much you should lose.

and welcome to the group!

welcomewagon-15.gif

whiskey

Reaction score
Cheers addy1 i was lossing one inch every day, was pulling hair out! Nearly purchased two new liners, but stuck with it, resealed flow from top to bottom hopefully sorted problem will find out tomorrow........or it revert to new liners.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would be a little to much every day. Where ponds join or there are waterfall, or streams is a good spot to have leaks. The wet spot could easily be your problem.

Do a good inspection for other wet spots. The other thing you can do is turn off the flow (dont hurt your bio filters though) see if one of the two ponds gets low. That will tell you if you have a leak in your liner. I would do that way before I would buy a new liner.

whiskey

Reaction score
Quite agree-- did that yesterday --over night both ponds stayed on level marks-- white lines on liner--which lead me to transfer of water between ponds--

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great you are following the leads your pond is giving you. With your fix let it dry, and if it stays wet, look again for a minor leak.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with Addy if you are losing that much a day that would be a lot. I lose something like 1/4" a day right now and in the really hot part of the summer up to a 1/2". But with that said it is always windy where I am at and a lot gets blown onto the rocks from the waterfalls and evaporates. So mine is probably more on the extreme side.

whiskey

Reaction score
hi guys spent all day out on pond , my neck sore with sunburn, Sealed three layers plus main liner two course of brick work plus aqua sealant, shoudnt get a drip now.......will leave for three days to harden.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
whiskey said:
hi guys spent all day out on pond , my neck sore with sunburn, Sealed three layers plus main liner two course of brick work plus aqua sealant, shoudnt get a drip now.......will leave for three days to harden.

great! it is a pain to have a leak but a pleasure when you fix it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
roflmao!...............................sounds like something my hubby would say!

Ask a Question