HELP! UNEXPLAINABLE WATER LOSS!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think we misunderstood each other because I did not say the Terram product was the weak one or that it fails. I am talking about the wool like stuff I found labeled as underlayment which was not that good of a product. Terram RootGuard is what is my bottom layer and it is nearly bulletproof but the other stuff made of polypropylene that is thin and wool like in texture and only provides a soft layer seemed to me to be inadequate of protecting the liner on its own because you can even make a tear in the stuff just by your bare hands.That's why I had to use three layers because the one the store called underlayment was crap and thats why I ended up buying Terram RootGuard.
PS: The company that made the product I did not like is named Beckett
I didn't say the Terram product was inferior either. All I am saying is that you paid for two (2) products when only one was necessary----the proper underlayment.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I didn't say the Terram product was inferior either. All I am saying is that you paid for two (2) products when only one was necessary----the proper underlayment.
Tell me about it. That is why I gave the name of the company Beckett so hopefully no one else gets burnt like I did when I bought their underlyament. Worst part is when I realized it was garbage the store would not take it back because it was open and cut. Thats why I ended up using 3 layers because I bought the Terram second and since I could not return the other I just used it as a padding layer si it would not be a total waste

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No i really don't think there is anything that would be drinking this much water! Before I replaced liner, I could lose about 1/3 of water in a day. It's just been a few days since new liner put in and so not sure how long it will take for it to lower that amount. It happens day and night. Although this doesn't make sense at all I feel like it could have something to do with the pump, which is new this year. There are no external parts, except electrical cords, so no where else water could be leaking from. So weird!!!

How many gallons is your pond? Do you have a waterfall with the rubber liner under the fall. I have see osmosis where the water seeps behind an area where the liner is marginal on the sides of the fall or water return. One third is quite outrageous. Is the liner a 45mil rubber UV liner? That is quite thick and it again could be back seepage and not a tear.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not meaning to get off subject, but what type of underlayment are you referring to? The standard underlayment is 6oz non-woven geotextile. This material is used in erosion control, general landscaping etc. and stands up under the most demanding conditions. It does not degrade therefore does not ever need replacing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The underlayment is the non-woven you mentioned. The liner is PVC with reinforced with a mesh weave.
I do not have a waterfall.
I could not find any sharp objects that would have caused a leak in my original liner.
Thanks for the comments and ideas - at this point I'm just watching to see how low the water level goes so I can figure out a plan for winter.

Ask a Question