Help with Bog waterfall type design please...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sure! We installed one of these in our up flow bog:

View attachment 109127
In the up flow bog, the water is pushed up through the "centipede". The vault is to allow for clean out - we would drop a pump in the vault and draw water down through the gravel, reversing the water flow. It works in theory - haven't had to try it yet!

I think this is what they call the "mini" version of the centipede and snorkel. We have the larger version at the opposite end of the pond in the "down flow bog" where the pump lives in the vault. (I can't ever use the term "bog" without missing @Meyer Jordan and his reminder that these are more accurately called something else... do you think I can remember what he called them??)
Lisa do you remember if you used Matrix blocks or large stone?
Basically what I am asking is how was the rest of the bog constructed 6" plus rock for a foot, then 1- 2" for a foot with three eighths pea stone for 6" on top? I love the theory of the settlement chamber but I can't find the recommended sizes and thicknesses of stone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Around the centipede we have a layer of softball sized rocks, just to fill the voids. Then we have two (or maybe three?) Aquablox on top of that. Then there's a layer of egg sized rocks, then smaller rock, then finally a layer of, well, not pea gravel.. .slightly larger than pea sized. Bean size maybe? haha!

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster....

We moved into a house with an existing pond last year and I had little to no success getting clear water with pressurized filtration systems, so I decided this year I would like to convert it to a waterfall type bog. This is where Im currently at...
76783-426d32d50766e5fa7d653b06b513cbb0.jpg

My plan is to build the bog on the upper portion, where the rocks have been removed, and have the water from the bog flow down into the main portion of the pond. After removing the top rocks I found several holes in the liner as shown here...
76784-ea10dee3459b8a4747997330ab42e224.jpg
. So my plan to use this liner as the base of my bog will not work as I would rather not patch and have to wonder if the bog is going to leak in the near future.

My question now, and Im sure there will be more to come, is how do I fit another liner for the bog that feeds to the main pond through a waterfall type feature? Can I just lay the new liner over the old liner as long as the "lip" to the outflow of the bog continues down toward the existing liner? My concern is the area pointed to by my finger...
76785-e952e62e714333e152ccf9755b2dbc7c.jpg

I have never liked how the ponds waterfall feature just rose out of the ground, too unnatural looking. My plan is to cut the height of the waterfall in half and move the dirt around the bog feature so that in gently slopes toward the existing lawn.

Any and all ideas, critiques are most welcome!

76786-9e27b905e038c525b9fd3e9282649e45.jpg
76789-502fefa31c5d4b6bbb17e6d657265b42.jpg

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster....

We moved into a house with an existing pond last year and I had little to no success getting clear water with pressurized filtration systems, so I decided this year I would like to convert it to a waterfall type bog. This is where Im currently at...
76783-426d32d50766e5fa7d653b06b513cbb0.jpg

My plan is to build the bog on the upper portion, where the rocks have been removed, and have the water from the bog flow down into the main portion of the pond. After removing the top rocks I found several holes in the liner as shown here...
76784-ea10dee3459b8a4747997330ab42e224.jpg
. So my plan to use this liner as the base of my bog will not work as I would rather not patch and have to wonder if the bog is going to leak in the near future.

My question now, and Im sure there will be more to come, is how do I fit another liner for the bog that feeds to the main pond through a waterfall type feature? Can I just lay the new liner over the old liner as long as the "lip" to the outflow of the bog continues down toward the existing liner? My concern is the area pointed to by my finger...
76785-e952e62e714333e152ccf9755b2dbc7c.jpg

I have never liked how the ponds waterfall feature just rose out of the ground, too unnatural looking. My plan is to cut the height of the waterfall in half and move the dirt around the bog feature so that in gently slopes toward the existing lawn.

Any and all ideas, critiques are most welcome!

76786-9e27b905e038c525b9fd3e9282649e45.jpg
76789-502fefa31c5d4b6bbb17e6d657265b42.jpg
I agree with the others. Now, in regard to back-washing the bog, I connect the piping from the pond pump to an inline check valve (very important) then to a clear tubing "connector" to the pipe going to the bog. Every couple of years, I remove the clear tubing and connect the bog pipe to a clear water pump. I turn on the pump and use a garden hose to feed water to the top of the bog until the discharged water from the bog turns clear. Then I disconnect the pump and reconnect the piping with the clear tubing and I am good to go for another couple of years. I also take time to clean out the muck that forms on top of the pea gravel but be sure to block off the bog feed chute to the pond so you don't send all of that muck into the pond. JT

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm getting closer to getting the bog up and running. Unfortunately, here in the Midwest, the weather has not cooperated at all. Snowed soon after I took this pic. It took a lot more pea gravel than I anticipated..little more than two tons. The actual bog surface area "shrank" as I filled in the sides with bigger rocks along the edge, so I'm glad I made it bigger than I had first planned to. I still need to cut the PVC towards the back and fit it to the ponds pump. Will paint it Black and hide with rocks and plants.
Which brings me to purchasing plants. Where are the best places to buy pond plants online and what should I be looking for? Specific plants people love? I want the bog and surrounding area ( which has available dirt on the mound now) to be as seemless and natural looking as possible. Any suggestions? Live in the Omaha area if anyone has experience with that climate zone.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180414_070941-EFFECTS.jpg
    IMG_20180414_070941-EFFECTS.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 357

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of bog plants, they sort of take over. Mine is huge, I let them grow as they want. They have also started growing out in the yard. With the size of yours maybe try to pick ones you can control.

Your build looks great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm getting closer to getting the bog up and running. Unfortunately, here in the Midwest, the weather has not cooperated at all. Snowed soon after I took this pic. It took a lot more pea gravel than I anticipated..little more than two tons. The actual bog surface area "shrank" as I filled in the sides with bigger rocks along the edge, so I'm glad I made it bigger than I had first planned to. I still need to cut the PVC towards the back and fit it to the ponds pump. Will paint it Black and hide with rocks and plants.
Which brings me to purchasing plants. Where are the best places to buy pond plants online and what should I be looking for? Specific plants people love? I want the bog and surrounding area ( which has available dirt on the mound now) to be as seemless and natural looking as possible. Any suggestions? Live in the Omaha area if anyone has experience with that climate zone.
Thanks
looks great Diego, super location and rock work is stellar
are you sure you haven't done this before??

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_20180608_092843.jpg
IMG_20180608_092826.jpg
IMG_20180608_092726.jpg
IMG_20180608_092719.jpg

Just wanted to give an update on my bog. I admit, I was a bit skeptical about the idea of a bog filter. I tried my darndest last year to get the pond clear through canister filters, but nothing worked so I decided to give the bog a go. I am absolutely impressed...the water has never been clearer, I can clearly see the pebble at the bottom through 4ft of water, though I may have some tanin issues. It has also made the pond area just look so much more natural and not having to clear filters every week has been such a relief. I need to do a better job of hiding some hoses, but all in all, I'm completely satisfied with my pond now. I have 8 shubunkins and have just seen that their are literally hundreds of baby fish in there now.
Thanks so much for the input from this community here...it's a great place of knowledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
great work @Diego
pond looks night and day from just a few weeks ago.
I love my bog so much I decided to put in a second one this year. Love the fact that I can combine my love of gardening with new types of plants in my ponding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think diego started his build a month ago an their done I think ill be lucky to finish by x mass . Looking good diego
post some pics so we can shame you into finishing.... :oops:
That's what I did last year, I almost gave up on the big dig, but felt obligated to post a finished product

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
post some pics so we can shame you into finishing.... :oops:
That's what I did last year, I almost gave up on the big dig, but felt obligated to post a finished product
I work on the project 5out of 7nights and most weekends its not lack of desire , its biting off more then I can chew at times.

Ask a Question