Help with Bog waterfall type design please...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I decided to give the bog a go. I am absolutely impressed...the water has never been clearer, I can clearly see the pebble at the bottom through 4ft of water
Welcome to the world of bog filtering! I have never regretted running my whole system with only my bog.
The water stays beautiful! Tests always normal. I quit testing years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome to the world of bog filtering! I have never regretted running my whole system with only my bog.
The water stays beautiful! Tests always normal. I quit testing years ago.

same here

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
View attachment 111902 View attachment 111903 View attachment 111904 View attachment 111905
Just wanted to give an update on my bog. I admit, I was a bit skeptical about the idea of a bog filter. I tried my darndest last year to get the pond clear through canister filters, but nothing worked so I decided to give the bog a go. I am absolutely impressed...the water has never been clearer, I can clearly see the pebble at the bottom through 4ft of water, though I may have some tanin issues. It has also made the pond area just look so much more natural and not having to clear filters every week has been such a relief. I need to do a better job of hiding some hoses, but all in all, I'm completely satisfied with my pond now. I have 8 shubunkins and have just seen that their are literally hundreds of baby fish in there now.
Thanks so much for the input from this community here...it's a great place of knowledge.

Looks really nice. Glad the bog is working so well for you. Remember to maintain some plants within the pond to allow the baby fish to hide as well as survive from the bigger fish. Also, you probably will need to backwash the bog every several years just to maintain its equilibrium.

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
@Koi4JT - do you have a bog? I wonder what you mean by "equilibrium"?

Well, my definition of equilibrium is maintaining enough biological crud in the bottom of the bog to be healthy in digesting the fish poop and bad chemistry without choking the delivery piping and filter material. When I researched building a bog, the information suggested back-washing the bog occasionally. I just connect a small pump to the supply piping and suck the mucky water out until it clears, which takes a minute or two. I use a garden hose to introduce water at the top of the bog while back-washing. There remains plenty of beneficial bacteria in the 3 feet of pea gravel above the delivery piping. I also clean the mat of algae and other debris from the top of the bog once, if not twice a year. By the way, my bog handles a side by side pond with a total volume of about 1,000 gallons with a whole lot of Koi and goldfish. i have had the bog in operation for well over 10 years with no need for water treatment except dechlorination when I add water to the pond. Hope this helps. JT

Ask a Question