Help with new pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have recently purchased a house that came with a medium sized pond. Its approx 7ft x 7ft and 4ft at its deepest. Max volume is app. 1,200 gallons, however there is a ledge all the way round which will bring that down a fair bit.

Its been neglected for many years by the previous owner and needs a good clean as there's app. a foot of sludge at the bottom! There is a bottom drain installed which leads to what looks like an old water tank through a 4" pipe. The tank is full of little rocks that look like fish pellets. This is then pumped back in to the pond using an old central heating pump, through a UV clarifier.

The pump and UV are both knackered and will be replaced. Do you have any recommendations on what equipment I should be looking at? Can I just get a new dry pump, UV and media for the water tank or should I be looking at getting something purpose built like an EazyPod?

In terms of stocking levels, we will just be looking at 15-20 goldfish and 'maybe' a few koi in the future but unlikely. It will be more a feature as we have very little knowledge of ponds!

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Do you have fish in it now? If not you might want to drain it and get rid of all of the sludge on the bottom.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-7-17_9-16-54.gif
@lee1101
I agree if no fish then clean the whole thing and start over fresh. Don't add fish for a few weeks and then when you do only add about 3 or so to make sure they will live nicely in your setup. Plants would be nice also. Lots to choose from. I like Sedges for sucking up extra nutrients. Parrots Feather, Hornwort, Mares Tail etc. all are good. For some reason Hornwort does not like my pond or else my fish love to eat it too much. I only have used submerged pumps like Laguna and Pondmaster. Can't help ya on the dry pump. Mine is a pretty simple pond w/a pump to the falls w/a prefilter attached to the hose that goes to the falls. No U.V or bottom drain. I use a long handled net to scoop out the bottom once in awhile and add some clean water sometimes. Once you have fish you will never want to drain your pond of all the water again. You can do a partial clean water in and old water out but do it slowly if you ever need to. That pond water needs to keep all the good bacteria going so fish will stay nice and healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there from a fellow U.K. ponder! Any pics of your new 'aqua'sition? The pun is intended there BTW!
Can't advise on bottom drains and your current set up as I don't possess a BD, and you sound as though everything filter/pump wise is going to be replaced anyway, but you will get sound advise from members here, all willing to help you out.
Addy's suggestion of starting completely afresh is good, especially as that water has been there for quite a long while and not refreshed, just don't rush things. The pond when cleaned and refilled will need a good few weeks to be ready to accept any fish and then, only a few as already mentioned.
Need to know....
Where is it situated, full sun, shade etc,
Are there trees overhanging so will tree debris drop in?
Is there a price point you need to keep too, it helps when ppl suggest things, everyone has a limit. I do :)
The wise ones will suggest a suitable pump and filter combo for you I'm sure once they know what the you're dealing with.
Please return with further ??'s.......and those all important pics.

Ask a Question