HELP!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know if this is something to worry about, but I would like to know fast! I cleaned my 100 micron screen last night and saw 2 or 3 really really small red worms on the screen, does anyone know what they are? Are they common in ponds? Should I worry about them? Thanks!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't recall what they are but I have had long skinny red worms in pond too, was told they are very good for filters. That's all I know of them. I leave the little critters that come to my pond, I figure there is a reason for everything!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh ok, yeah i guess your right lol. I just googled it and it said they are not harmful and are some sort of larvae from flies. Thanks though false alarm :goldfish:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bloodworms? or black fly larvae?, yum yum..............from the fishes point of view anyways :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They are normally a good sign that your filters working well we have insect larva like blood worm, our filter has quite a bit wildlife includiing pillbugs bloodworm some sort of damsen fly and other insects I dont know .
Dont worry about them

rgrds

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I got many many many of those little guys in mechanical filtration material. I think they eat the gunk caught in the filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh glad you added from the fishes point of view jw ,had me worried :razz: plants in your filter help clean the gunk also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I will try putting some plants in there sissy to help! I am working on a very affordable pond lighting project right now and will share with you hopefully by the end of the week! :lamp5:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used LED bulbs and shine them down into my pond from under my bridge .I also wait for after christmas sales to buy LED bulbs and outdoor light holders and also buy timers then too .You would be surprised what you come up with if you think outside the box .I also used end of the season LED path lights that are wired .I got 2 sets this year with 6 spot lights on them each for 20 dollars each set at walmart .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I used LED bulbs and shine them down into my pond from under my bridge .I also wait for after christmas sales to buy LED bulbs and outdoor light holders and also buy timers then too .You would be surprised what you come up with if you think outside the box .I also used end of the season LED path lights that are wired .I got 2 sets this year with 6 spot lights on them each for 20 dollars each set at walmart .
NICE! Yeah, I bought some 24 LED Strips (White) that have a 3ft submersible chord and light strip is 9'' with 24 LED's and is wrapped in a clear rubber type housing that is thick and flexible. I then Cut out a 2.75'' clear acrylic 1/2'' disc and wrap the lights around it and mounted with epoxy for a 360 degree light disc! I bought some of the 3 rock LED pond lights from lowes that were $70 and they lasted about 3 months and got water in them, after i popped the cover off "easily" to dry them out, i then realized they are very cheaply made! These new light strips are about twice as bright and the whole project only cost me around $6 per light and runs off a 12v adapter that comes with it! I will post pics later this week to show you how awesome and easy on the wallet these lights are and are TRULY submersible with NO WAY for water to get in! :LOL:

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Very entrustaed in this light setup
Hurry and put up some pics of the DYI lights.

I have those supposed to be water tite lights (Yea right) and have the same prob.
I now have them out of water I hung them upside down under the rock edge and point them down in to the pond not the best look but no water in them and the bulb last longer.

Let there be light :goldfish:

Ruben

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes Christmas is coming, excited to see pond all lit nice! :)

Here are some cheap LED lights I strung up tonight, just so it looks festive!

Attachments

• IMAG2282-1.jpg
    IMAG2282-1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 288

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always sealed in pond lights with silicon because they seem to always leak .But I found that lights shining down into the pond give you a clearer view than lights shining up .I have 4 of those landscape lights unedr my bridge shining down and just use metal ppipe clamps to slide the ground stake through .I even use them to light up the waterfall .cheap I am and look for new ideas all the time

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Did pretty much the same w/ my lights that started leaking. Just tucked them in the rocks around the pond so they shown down on the water. Fine w/ me. Wanting to add some string lights around the top of my wire fence for added fun.

Ask a Question