Help.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys I am new to this pond thing lol.. I have always had indoor aquariums ranging from tropical fresh water to reef tanks so I am familiar with the husbandry required to house fish but I have a question for you experienced pond keepers. I have just purchased a new home with a pond already installed the pond is roughly 15 feet long and shaped like a peanut and it is about 10 feet across the previous home owner had it installed and told me it is about 2500 plus gallons. Here is my problem the pond is lined with slate rocks over a liner and it has a surface skimmer and a waterfall setup with filter pads in both the skimmer and waterfall. I have what I believe is mulm all over rocks i drained the pond almost to the bottom and hosed off all the rocks but after filling it is find that it settles on the rocks again. I used an old old pool filter and made a make shift vacuum to read over it and although the water is crystal clear the crap keeps covering the rocks. After doing some research into found that rock is not the way to go with the pond but when clean looks nice and I rather not have to remove it. After cleaning as best I could I put in the micro lift spring and summer bacteria packets and don't know if there is anything else I can do toget rid of the muck on the rocks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ..

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get in there and flush flush flush. You might have a spot washing in some silt if you continue to have this problem. Sometimes you have to flush forever, find the low spot put your pump there and flush it until you get all the sediment near the pump. Once it's settled and not getting sucked up just stir your pump up and kink the hose to get more suction. If this doesn't work, shop vac. Worst case scenario they do make a product called muck be gone or something like that for ponds.

Jakk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, by the way. If you do have silt washing in you need to check all around for low spots in the liner. Pull up some rocks and bring the liner towards the center of the pond, stick a rock in between that new space you created (in between liner and the earth or underlayment) bringing the liner up higher. Might need to do some liner hiding after this but it will help wash in.

Jakk

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
rocks never stay pristine looking in a pond and if they look that way it is not for long .That is why it looks better without rocks in it .A pond is not a swimming pool and should not look like one

Ask a Question