Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You were pretty thorough @bagsmom with all your planning and design of the pond. I'd be willing to bet you kept that in mind when you were building.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You were pretty thorough @bagsmom with all your planning and design of the pond. I'd be willing to bet you kept that in mind when you were building.
Although I appreciate your confidence in me, I think you would lose some money on that bet! :eek: To be honest, I didn't think about freezing. Even during cold winters we seldom go far below freezing and the moving water never has a problem. Some of these lows in the teens could be interesting. If nothing else, I can consider it a good test of the build. I think there will end up being some fun ice sculptures!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The deepest ice we have had,since pond build, one time was 15 inches. We mainly get a skim or 1 to 2 inches of ice. Which melts fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The deepest ice we have had,since pond build, one time was 15 inches. We mainly get a skim or 1 to 2 inches of ice. Which melts fast.
I'm mostly concerned that the gently flowing waterfalls will build up with ice - and then the pump could continue filling the bog. If the ice blocked the waterfall, the bog could overflow and empty the pond. I will just have to watch it. I don't think it's likely, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even a slow moving body of water . would need extreme cold to freeze. It will freeze on the sides which will then creates a tunnel for the water to continue to flow,
but my suggestion is to simply shut down the pond and provide an air stone

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am thinking that the cold air next week might be the coldest we get all year. The temps expected are very unusual, so I don't think they will last long. It will be more of a fluke than anything. My plan will be to keep a close eye on things and if need be, I will flip the switch to off until things thaw out. The true cold seldom lasts long down here in GA.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oxygen can be stripped very quickly i know your fish are small as the pond is new but still need to keep that in mind

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oxygen can be stripped very quickly i know your fish are small as the pond is new but still need to keep that in mind
Tell me more about this, GBBUDD? Would this be only if the whole pond freezes over?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nooooo the fish in a body of water like ours, breath and they absorb the oxygen. So frozen or not if the pumps are off and there's no running water out of a stream waterfall or current they can suffocate. THE WINTER need for an opening in the ice is for co2 to have a way out of the water. fortunately in winter cold water holds twice as much dissolved oxygen in the water. but for those with koi or a heavy populated pond I recommend a air stone or a pump pushing water on the surface of the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
OK - thanks! I will be sure to have an aerator handy, just in case! Keeping my fingers crossed, though, that everything will be ok just running!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your fish are probably 6 to 8 inch and i'd guess a dozen they would be hard pressed to have a problem in a pond your size but they grow and multiply quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think the very largest goldfish is 8 inches and the others are close to 6. There are eight of them. Then, of course, we have the wildly irresponsible rosy red minnows - who seem to reproduce like rabbits! I'm hoping for some goldfish fry this coming spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'D GO FISHING RIGHT NOW FOR A SUNFISH BLUE GILL OR CROPPY male or female this time of year means little no one is spawning . they will take care of over populating when they catch up and numbers dwindle catch them using a worm on a hook and let them go back to the wild with a full belly

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I'D GO FISHING RIGHT NOW FOR A SUNFISH BLUE GILL OR CROPPY male or female this time of year means little no one is spawning . they will take care of over populating when they catch up and numbers dwindle catch them using a worm on a hook and let them go back to the wild with a full belly
You have mentioned this before GBBUDD and you got my attention with this idea...I am at the limit now in my pond (25 rapidly growing shubunkins in 900 gallons) ...they spawned around this time last year (FL) so I am toying with the idea of introducing a blue gill but was wondering if it would nip at my other fish....Do you or does someone on the forum have experience with this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think if I added a blue gill, he would need to be a permanent resident. I am not good at catching fish! I had a dying goldfish with a messed up spine -- and I couldn't catch even him! I think if the minnows keep partying in my pond, I will consider it! It's been interesting, though - I wonder if the minnows have a short life span? I know they continued to spawn and I'd see a variety of fry in different sizes - but the adults didn't seem to increase the way I thought they would.

Ask a Question