Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I spotted my first two baby goldfish today! They are probably about 3/4" long. One is white and orange and the other one is -- strange. I am guessing that someone actually raising fish would cull this guy. When he swims, he kind of goes in a spiral upwards and then sinks down. I did a water test and everything is good. All the other fish are good. My guess is some kind of birth defect, maybe? He was in the intake bay and I tried to catch him but had no luck. It is amazing how difficult it is to catch a fish, especially in a decent sized pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Those DANGED DEER!
I can't wait to get the trail cam up and running to see how these deer are getting in to cause trouble. The fishing line "deterrent" seems completely undisturbed. The rocks all look undisturbed as well. I don't see signs that they are jumping in.
Lilies have been munched to nothing again.
I think these deer have wings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep, you are going to wish there were higher barriers of entry to this Forum;)
Trust me bud IF they can deal with me for five years, the ground is already broken in . Only lost a handful in that time. I MAY NOT SUGER COAT my impression of a project but i could stand to take a couple minutes in seeing how else the words could be interpreted but that's just not my forte' . So straight up is what comes to be

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Trust me bud IF they can deal with me for five years, the ground is already broken in . Only lost a handful in that time. I MAY NOT SUGER COAT my impression of a project but i could stand to take a couple minutes in seeing how else the words could be interpreted but that's just not my forte' . So straight up is what comes to be
NO KIDDING!
But most of the time good info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are some current pictures. Fall is here and the growth is slowing down. We have had one night of 30 degrees but we will be back in the upper 70s this week. The brown eyed Susans are starting to get gnarly but the little goldfinches love landing on them and getting the seeds. The tarragon is in full bloom. I love this plant! It is beautiful. It's a perennial. Bees and butterflies love it. It blooms late in the season, so it gives the pollinators a food source when many other flowers are done. You can cook with it. So much to like! The fish enjoyed me topping off the pond yesterday. It always stirs up some muck and that's big fun! The deer still come in and eat lilies. They chew them down and give it several days to regrow. Then they come back. We've seen a few on the game cam. They walk right through the gap in that fishing line and stroll into the bog, then make their way down into the pond via the waterfall area. The pebble beach area is now called Bee Beach. Honeybees work there from dawn to dusk, getting water. I hoped some bees would show in the photo, but I can't see any. They are there! The bag of rock and pallet of flagstone will be used to finish the ground in front of the shed and along the side of the pond. One of these days, I'll muster up the energy to get out there and finish it. The intake bay is working well. I scoop out leaves several times a day. I will be busy once the leaves begin to fall in earnest!
pond1b.jpgpond2b.jpgpond3b.jpgpond4b.jpgpond5b.jpgpond6b.jpgpond7b.jpgpond8b.jpgpond9b.jpgpond9bc.jpg

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
It's looking beautiful!

A shame the deer keep getting your lilies though. Seems like there should be some way to keep them out, but I can't think of any (at least none that don't involve an element of percussive diplomacy...). I'm in much the same situation with regard to rock hyraxes, who keep coming in and eating the leaves off the plants in the shallow planting zone. Our old wire fence has long since collapsed and I'm gradually cutting it out section by section. But even when it was in good shape, the little buggers could climb over it.

I love your pebble beach! That's what I'd like to do with the one unfinished edge of my pond, though at the moment I don't have the right kind of rocks to complete the look. Getting there though...

Keep the pics coming!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Seems like there should be some way to keep them out
MANY WAYS a 8 foot tall fence they simply leap over a 6 footer, 306, 762, 556, even a 9, cross bow or compound bow. They all solve the problem

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
MANY WAYS a 8 foot tall fence they simply leap over a 6 footer, 306, 762, 556, even a 9, cross bow or compound bow. They all solve the problem
Well, yes. But most of that (aside from the fence) qualifies as "percussive diplomacy", which I'm fairly certain @bagsmom isn't interested in employing. Not exactly conducive to the peace and quite such a lovely setting deserves...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We will see how things go in the Spring. I wonder if the lilies will end up dying, since the leaves never get a chance to grow? I've been thinking about a little floating island, to provide some shelter in the absence of lily leaves. I have these cool plastic geometric floating grid things. I think Yshahar mentioned them at one point. You can connect as many as you need to get the desired size and approximate shape. I think I might put together 6 or 7, then try covering with some underlayment fabric. It should stay wet, since it will be lying right on the surface of the water. I thought maybe I could pat some moss down on the fabric. If it works, it could be kind of cool. Floating shade and shelter that might look like an island or a rock. We will see. It really isn't necessary, since the fish have two big caves to hide in. But they might like it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, yes. But most of that (aside from the fence) qualifies as "percussive diplomacy", which I'm fairly certain @bagsmom isn't interested in employing. Not exactly conducive to the peace and quite such a lovely setting deserves...
understood thus the cross bow lol . i know vat this point shed not consider harming Bambi. I have never taken a deer myself other than with a 600 mm nikon

Ask a Question