Here's why the do what they do

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I absolutely LOVE the professional pond builders, this one included - no names because they all do it so it's not unique to any one pond company.

HOWEVER if you have ever wondered why they encourage the annual clean outs, take a look at this video - especially right around 7:21.

When you see how much money this can represent to just one company, not to mention the constant contact with customers which gives them that opportunity to turn every maintenance call into a sales call where they can upsell, update, add-on, etc it's just good business.

Seeing all that green in that pond may make some pond owners cringe, but for me it just looked like spring... maybe spring on speed, but still spring. One thing I noticed was the number and size of fish in this pond. He mentioned it was about 6000 gallons of water in the total system, but he doesn't say if they keep that running year round. If they shut it down, they cut the pond volume in half. I didn't count, but rough estimate there were at LEAST 8 or 9 really good sized fish in there. That many fish with very little plant growth in spring means lots of algae. While the pond looks nice and shiny at the end, experience will tell you that pond is starting all over with a whole new bio-system. Saving the water helps, but power washing those rocks? Not something I would do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It's good to be educated!!!! I'm like you - I love all these guys but have a different philosophy about some aspects of pond-keeping. Even after telling a friend about my biofilm -- what it was, why it was there, and how much good it did -- they said "oh no. I couldn't stand that. It's ugly. I'd pay someone to clean it out." I'm guessing many pond owners are in it strictly for aesthetics and are not the big Nature Nerds that so many of us on the GPF are!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Reminds me of my neighbor who claims she LOVES flowers and gardening but freaks out if she sees a bee. Like FREAKS OUT. When I told her I was planting lavender to attract bees, she had a coronary. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?? She forbid her kids from coming in my yard for fear they would get stung - and no, they weren't allergic, and yes I was happy they had to stay away! - as if I had somehow harnessed all the bees in the world in my yard. haha.

When you understand nature you appreciate the balance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feel so sorry for folks when they have these phobias.

I was on a job site walkdown {mind you my work sites can be many miles long } And we were walking down a set of rail road tracks when we came upon some deer bones . When this one guy realized they were bones of something that was alive AT SOME POINT and it DIED right at that spot Freaking out is putting it mildly. It was so disturbing to watch.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
absolutely LOVE the professional pond builders, this one included - no names because they all do it so it's not unique to any one pond company.
It's good to be educated!!!! I'm like you - I love all these guys but have a different philosophy about some aspects of pond-keeping. Even after telling a friend about my biofilm -- what it was, why it was there, and how much good it did -- they said "oh no. I couldn't stand that. It's ugly. I'd pay someone to clean it out." I'm guessing many pond owners are in it strictly for aesthetics and are not the big Nature Nerds that so many of us on the GPF are!
how's your pond doing waking up?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like you said its business. And they are doing very well for them selves , traveling all over the world. very jealous

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
how's your pond doing waking up?
Good! We are having a strange cold snap right now, so things might be stalled for a bit. Still trying to determine what completely died after our crazy low temps in the winter (rosemary and gardenia) and what has survived and thrived (mint!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unless mint doesn't do well with heat it's thriving here . Not a fan obedient was so much more attractive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Unless mint doesn't do well with heat it's thriving here . Not a fan obedient was so much more attractive
You know I will take whatever the deer don't eat! The deer don't seem interested in minty-fresh breath, so it is growing and looking (and smelling) pretty!

Ask a Question