Heron attack

Reaction score
From my experience, a wily heron will be desensitized to almost any deterrent (short of those that cause bodily harm) and will eventually not be scared away by them.

However, I have heard great things about the electronic sound deterrent that someone mentioned it earlier. Haven't tried it myself but have heard people rant and rave about it.

John

Reaction score
ilovemesomekoi said:
From my experience, a wily heron will be desensitized to almost any deterrent (short of those that cause bodily harm) and will eventually not be scared away by them.

However, I have heard great things about the electronic sound deterrent that someone mentioned it earlier. Haven't tried it myself but have heard people rant and rave about it.

John

I figure i'm going to try it. I think if a person moved it around like with heron decoys it might work for quite awhile. i'll leave the sprinkler in service, but plan to set up two other locations for it too. I'll have it set up so I can just move it easily. thing is, while I have no plans to myself, I don't disagree with shooting a heron, but i think it'd be pretty hard to accomplish. they are way skittish and even the slightest movement will spook them. And, it'd be just awful to wound one and not kill it. That'd would be completely unacceptable to me.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Dr&w.they arent hard to shoot at all! I popped one a half a dozen times with ms. Daisy....last may / june never came back rest of the season.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
Dr&w.they arent hard to shoot at all! I popped one a half a dozen times with ms. Daisy....last may / june never came back rest of the season.

a BB gun probably wouldn't even penetrate the feathers, right? so it might just be ideal because it would hurt and scare, but not damage the bird. Or am I wrong?

BTW, here's an interesting read on reducing predation at aquaculture sites. http://www.berrymaninstitute.org/pdf/birdpre.pdf

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I tried the scarecrow years ago and found it to be useless. It might scare them a couple times, but soon they figure it out. Netting and lethal force are the only methods other than a junk yard dog that seem to work.
Even netting can be defeated by raccoons if it isn't large enough and properly anchored. I have enough trees growing around mine now that they have to walk in to get to the pond.

Ask a Question