Fish attacked ? Heron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B0A075F4-875B-475B-BCCE-BE6924B3C252.jpeg
9C17097A-E5A3-4253-80A1-AE6FB4FA9DE8.jpeg
2A6DB8FF-921E-4C2C-860A-3C5E3F3789A9.jpeg
Seeking advice as unfortunately I’m a nurse not a vet! believe my fish was attacked by heron a week ago today, luckily (maybe) saved by the netting across the pond. Think that I found him shortly afterwards and moved him out of the pond. Surprised he went 24 hours after the nasty chunk taken out of him, even more so that he has gone a week. Have kept him separate and changed about 30% of the water daily, bought filter to help also to prevent any infection.

What I want to know is will he heal further? What can I do to help? Am I being cruel keeping him alive?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
:( Pains me to look at the picture...poor guy. Was it just the one fish and these are several views of it? Do you see any sign of healing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( Pains me to look at the picture...poor guy. Was it just the one fish and these are several views of it? Do you see any sign of healing?
Just the one guy, different views. Seems to be healing as far as the wound is concerned from a medical point of view but then could be something I am not seeing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's hard to tell but in the second photo it looks like the tail is really streaky and red which could mean severe infection like septicemia? It would be hard to imagine a living thing with such a severe injury NOT having an infection of some sort. Maybe someone more familiar with disease or illness will chime in but it doesn't look great from my perspective. Could you get another photo of the side of the fish just to make sure I'm not seeing things that aren't there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2C4A4358-95FE-440D-BE06-8980312CC603.jpeg
It's hard to tell but in the second photo it looks like the tail is really streaky and red which could mean severe infection like septicemia? It would be hard to imagine a living thing with such a severe injury NOT having an infection of some sort. Maybe someone more familiar with disease or illness will chime in but it doesn't look great from my perspective. Could you get another photo of the side of the fish just to make sure I'm not seeing things that aren't there?

Thanks for reply, this is the other side, think photos/light makes it redder than actually is, just have pinkness down both lengths of his body.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh... that poor fish. I applaud your attempt to save it. I think I would be tempted to put it out of it's misery. If it survives, it will be a miracle fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
View attachment 111907

Thanks for reply, this is the other side, think photos/light makes it redder than actually is, just have pinkness down both lengths of his body.

Thanks for the extra photo, it does look a lot less red/streaky with different light so hopefully that means it's not as bad as I thought. That is a very intense looking wound, but maybe the fish will have a full recovery as long as you keep the water quality pristine and it doesn't develop any bacterial or fungal infections.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
what a tough little guy/gal, hoping for a recovery
@TD123 , what is the hole size for your net? I'm thinking it may be too coarse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what a tough little guy/gal, hoping for a recovery
@TD123 , what is the hole size for your net? I'm thinking it may be too coarse
It is netting that goes across the pond to stop birds and little people, heron (I believe as have a local one) didn’t see the netting and went for bird, I found netting in pond and fish in the pond bit lifeless. Wasn’t a net I use to catch the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ugh... that poor fish. I applaud your attempt to save it. I think I would be tempted to put it out of it's misery. If it survives, it will be a miracle fish!
I really hope it pulls through just don’t have the heart to put any animal down, still swimming about and eating, good signs from a nursing view lol.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the extra photo, it does look a lot less red/streaky with different light so hopefully that means it's not as bad as I thought. That is a very intense looking wound, but maybe the fish will have a full recovery as long as you keep the water quality pristine and it doesn't develop any bacterial or fungal infections.
Fish is about 14cm long so you can imagine size of the wound - had to google fish anatomy and I think it has missed any vital organs. It’s still swimming about, has its quiet moments tends to stay at bottom but then container isn’t very deep prob double his height, idea was to limit amount of moving he does.
Take out and replace some of the water each day to try and keep it clean, fingers crossed he may survive.
Thanks for checking him out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't see acute signs of infection and the white stuff looks like it could be healing. He's lucky he's in your care.

To prevent heron strikes, your net needs to be taunt at least a foot over the pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ouch!! :eek: That fish is lucky to have survived. I have seen photos of fish who heal fully after a large injury, so hopefully it'll be ok...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ouch!! :eek: That fish is lucky to have survived. I have seen photos of fish who heal fully after a large injury, so hopefully it'll be ok...
I’m hoping, @Becky , he seems to be a bit quieter today but still moving about.

Ask a Question