looks like a heron attack

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I did not see a heron but most likely the culprit. My fish where all hiding and missing a white koi and had a small comet dead, not sure if others were taken due to the numbers. Most came out to eat now but still no white Koi.

I think the one with more yellow was a victim, may still be hiding but not looking good

White Koi by A & R Photography, on Flickr

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And they will not stop till they are sure they have gotten every fish in your pond. W/o a net my fish would be doomed!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is this the first time a heron has come to visit? It took days for my fish to come back up to eat after the heron came by my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
A few years back I had a natural large pond on a seasonal stream. It was about 150' x 30' x 3 feet deep and loaded with mosquito larvae. In the spring, I put 200 feeder goldfish in and by late August, most were still there and getting much larger, 3-5" or so. Then one day the kingfishers discovered them and it only took a week and there were no goldfish in the pond. It was kind of fun to watch, but dang... No wonder they are called King Fishers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh no :( I loved your white koi, so am hoping it's still hiding. It's part of nature.....but doesn't mean we have to like it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Bummer for sure. Hope it doesn't come back. Keep a watchful eye.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hell of a thing isn't it. Sorry about that,I hate burds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is this the first time a heron has come to visit? It took days for my fish to come back up to eat after the heron came by my pond.
No, the heron usually comes by once or twice a year. They did hide for 2 1/2 days then came out a bit. Now they are back to normal. When it first happened it looked they I had no fish at all except some real tiny ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A few years back I had a natural large pond on a seasonal stream. It was about 150' x 30' x 3 feet deep and loaded with mosquito larvae. In the spring, I put 200 feeder goldfish in and by late August, most were still there and getting much larger, 3-5" or so. Then one day the kingfishers discovered them and it only took a week and there were no goldfish in the pond. It was kind of fun to watch, but dang... No wonder they are called King Fishers!
That must of been a great show, kingfishers are amazing

Ask a Question