sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I retired to VA from NJ 6 years ago and live on 3 acres here .I started my first pond 5 years ago and fish out grew it so built a 12ft by 8 ft pond .I still am learning about ponds so be patient as I make mistakes and ask a lot of questions .I have 12 koi to date and have not lost 1 yet and have several new babies that I have shared with neighbors who have started there own ponds .I love to do woodworking and built a bridge over my pond .I have to mow 3 acres so takes my time in the summer months ,but I always make time for my fish .I feed them by the edge of there pond and they love being petted like a dog and my oldest 2 Auntie AG and Uncle Bert love to kiss people .I am trying to figure out how to lower the resolution on my pics and make them small enough to post here .My little red lawn mower and cart get around . I dug the pond out by hand and it is over 3 ft deep in some spots and I built it so I could look over my front porch into it and here the water gurgle .I own 2 dogs 1 a 7 year old pit bull named King Arthur thats a big sissy and the other is a chihuahua named Pee Wee who is 11 months old .They are spoiled .I also have 2 crows that sit up on my studio roof all the time and like to be fed .I think thats the only reason they hang around LOL they do chase strangers away and also let me know when the mail lady comes .I always have lots of deer here with there babies .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow you have a big pond would love to have 1 that big and thank you I go online to try to get ideas how to take care of it .The winter is my time to relax and learn as much as I can about anything and everything .I hope you post pics as I see you are new too I learned how to do attachments in go advanced it seems easy now .thank you I love my pond and fish they all have names .I try to keep them healthy .I'm proud of what I have learned from other people

Attachments

• 12-26-2010 snow 032.jpg
    12-26-2010 snow 032.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 12-26-2010 snow 030.jpg
    12-26-2010 snow 030.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
yes it's a big pond but much of it is still a work in progess. I spent several months digging it out with a shovel. The soft sand here is a breeze but several tree stumps slowed me down. I had planted beautiful pygmy date palms all around it but our record lows wiped them out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the weather has been a little bit weird lately I planted 3 cold hardy palms here and they seem to be doing fine but I put a lot of mulch around them for winter .I moved out of NJ and the snow follows me .Your lucky to have sand then because I have that red clay and it was not easy digging the pond out .I picked the worse wee to do it also was in the high 90's out and the humidity was the worst I have seen .I am going to redo my waterfall this spring and make it a tiny bit bigger

Reaction score
the soft sand is both a blessing and a curse, it's easy to work with but it caves in easily. I know if I was still living in WV I couldn't have hand dug it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a friend Mike who lives in Tazewell WV he is building a koi pond this spring on his land with his daughter .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you ever been to the hillsville flea market it is city wide 2 times a year memorial day and llabor day includind pic of crowds there for it

Attachments

• hillsville 048.jpg
    hillsville 048.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 341

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Axton VA about 15 minutes from Martinsville VA and 15 minutes from The NC border

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thank you for the welcome Debralynn and you lived in Florida what brought you to the WV and cold weather

Ask a Question