Hi from Kentucky!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm in my 70's and retired. My dad and brothers built me a pond at least 20 years ago, and it's one of the best things about my home. If it weren't for mosquitoes and wasps (hate them), I'd be out there a lot more. I take care of it myself and have some waders that I use when I clean the filters. It has a small waterfall and a small fountain. There are about 25 goldfish in it. One of my fish is blind, so I feed him food that sinks and make sure he gets some of it. Until I added some safe areas for the babies to go, I had no new fish. Well, I probably had them, but they were eaten. Now, they have a place to get away from the predators and some manage to live. This is an old photo of my pond when it was doing quite well.

Attachments

• Pond.jpg
    Pond.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum

It's amazing how a water feature of anysize can be the favorite part of the yard. i agree whole heartedly with that statement even if my pond is one you couldn't avoid if you wanted to

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum

It's amazing how a water feature of anysize can be the favorite part of the yard. i agree whole heartedly with that statement even if my pond is one you couldn't avoid if you wanted to
And I'm complaining about caring for 900 gallons! I take care of my house, yard, pond, 3 dogs and 2 cats, and feed wild birds in the woods and it's a lot for and old hippie. I'm overwhelmed at times. Right now the yard needs some serious work and I was too tired to do it.

Your pond is magnificent! What a lot of work you've done to make it look natural and beautiful! I'm going to go back and look at it more slowly and read what you've written about the process. But first, I have to go eat something.

By the way, the only centipedes I'm familiar with are the ones that sting/bite whatever it is they do. I had close contact with several when I lived in Hawaii. One got me while I was sleeping and boy did it hurt. I'm glad they aren't in Kentucky. Wasps are bad enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
By the way, the only centipedes I'm familiar with are the ones that sting/bite whatever it is they do. I had close contact with several when I lived in Hawaii. One got me while I was sleeping and boy did it hurt. I'm glad they aren't in Kentucky. Wasps are bad enough.
When I was very young, I lived on Oahu. I never did see a live centipede as you describe, but I've seen dead ones. I do believe they are venomous. And they are huge! Nothing like the teenie tiny ones we have here in Pennsylvania.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I was very young, I lived on Oahu. I never did see a live centipede as you describe, but I've seen dead ones. I do believe they are venomous. And they are huge! Nothing like the teenie tiny ones we have here in Pennsylvania.
I've seen both dead and alive and some where really big. They can go up walls, too, so they can be most anywhere. Most of the places I lived in Lahaina sprayed for them and for scorpions, which I also saw. Hawaii doesn't have any snakes, but the centipedes and scorpions make up for that!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have almost 4 acres to care for and 11 ponds. At times I look at the weeds and just say, in the winter they all die! And ignore them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I'm in my 70's and retired. My dad and brothers built me a pond at least 20 years ago, and it's one of the best things about my home. If it weren't for mosquitoes and wasps (hate them), I'd be out there a lot more. I take care of it myself and have some waders that I use when I clean the filters. It has a small waterfall and a small fountain. There are about 25 goldfish in it. One of my fish is blind, so I feed him food that sinks and make sure he gets some of it. Until I added some safe areas for the babies to go, I had no new fish. Well, I probably had them, but they were eaten. Now, they have a place to get away from the predators and some manage to live. This is an old photo of my pond when it was doing quite well.
Welcome. Beautiful pond and great selection of plants. Any way to add mosquito netting "somehow"? It would be such a lovely place to hang out, with fewer mosquitoes.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Welcome! I'm also somewhat new here, and have found a wealth of advice on all things aquatic.

Regarding centipedes and scorpions, we've got them all over the place where I live (Israel). Flip over pretty much any large pot or rock and you'll find either a big black scorpion or a centipede. When I find them in the garden, I take a live and let live attitude. In the house is another story.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652719404850.gif
@magillilnb
Nice pond and reminds me of the first one I built. Have a bigger one now of about 2400 gals.

This was my first one over the septic pipe. Got nervous about that so decided I needed to move it!

Pond 1.jpg

2nd one moved to the other side of our path to our front door. Not over any pipes now!

IMG_9509.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome. Beautiful pond and great selection of plants. Any way to add mosquito netting "somehow"? It would be such a lovely place to hang out, with fewer mosquitoes.
I wouldn't like the look of mosquito netting and it would keep out the birds who like to drink from the waterfall, but thanks for the suggestion. Besides, I'm always on the go and wouldn't sit by it if I could. I get my pond time feeding the fish and cleaning the filters. I'm getting ready to repot the taro plants I have, but I need some advice, so I'll post my question in a thread about plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome! I'm also somewhat new here, and have found a wealth of advice on all things aquatic.

Regarding centipedes and scorpions, we've got them all over the place where I live (Israel). Flip over pretty much any large pot or rock and you'll find either a big black scorpion or a centipede. When I find them in the garden, I take a live and let live attitude. In the house is another story.
I couldn't live where there are centipedes and scorpions all over the place. I'm a wimp! The only time I saw them in Hawaii was in the house.

Ask a Question