Hi & Welcome Me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@GoPond2018 given the size of your pond and the fact that it is pretty heavily stocked with koi you would most likely benefit from increased circulation/filtration and aeration. I would shoot for around 2000-2250 gallons per hour total circulation which would be 2x your water volume. Also, you could add a relatively cheap aeration kit which should help. I use the "Aquascape 75000 Pond Air 2 (Double Outlet Aeration Kit)" which is available for around $45-50.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GoPond2018 given the size of your pond and the fact that it is pretty heavily stocked with koi you would most likely benefit from increased circulation/filtration and aeration. I would shoot for around 2000-2250 gallons per hour total circulation which would be 2x your water volume. Also, you could add a relatively cheap aeration kit which should help. I use the "Aquascape 75000 Pond Air 2 (Double Outlet Aeration Kit)" which is available for around $45-50.

Thanks for the awesome tip. I have been thinking about going bigger on the pump roughly to the size you mention above. I think the pump upgrade will definitely improve my overall filtration system.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you check your water parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?

@Mmathis I don't check the water chemistry as much as I should be. Only because the Koi's appears to be healthy from above. I probably should start paying attention a little bit more.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis I don't check the water chemistry as much as I should be. Only because the Koi's appears to be healthy from above. I probably should start paying attention a little bit more.
Yes, especially with that many koi (15) in a 1100 gal pond. As they grow — which is quickly — the ammonia, etc., can easily overpower your biofiltration. The water can LOOK healthy, but the “toxins” in the water can still be harmful to the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This is so typical, the staff takes something down, now it turns into a big thread of everyone putting their own thoughts in why it was bad when it wasn't. A pond video never should be deleted, THIS IS A POND FORUM. I'm out here, I won't post anymore here. This is exactly why I started my own forum, one with none of this, See ya. Burd out.

You're welcome to your opinion, and I'm sorry you feel that way.

Sorry if I intrude the forum with my quick youtube videos. I totally understand from both sides of the spectrum. That's cool. I myself wouldn't want spammers anyways. Thanks for clarifying this.

Thanks for being so understanding, and sorry for any offence caused! (y) If you'd like to post a video about a specific problem with your pond then that is totally fine.

Ask a Question