Hibernating fish

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Just regular wheat germ you can buy at the store or is there a special kind for fish?

It's freezing here right now so I haven't fed them since Thanksgiving when it was still warm, but like you said, my big koi and goldfish are parked in their little flagstone hidey-hole right under the waterfall and the little ones park at the bottom of the pond.

You guys have all been so helpful. I just wish I'd found this site last year when we moved in and had no clue how to care for fish!

Reaction score
Mine are not visible under the ice, but before were under the waterfall under the flagstones. I wasn't sure why, but I guess this is normal. They do know what to do instinctually...except when not to eat.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They will be fine without food all winter. Better than taking a chance on losing all of them like a friends neighbor just did.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JustJack said:
Just regular wheat germ you can buy at the store or is there a special kind for fish?

It's freezing here right now so I haven't fed them since Thanksgiving when it was still warm, but like you said, my big koi and goldfish are parked in their little flagstone hidey-hole right under the waterfall and the little ones park at the bottom of the pond.

You guys have all been so helpful. I just wish I'd found this site last year when we moved in and had no clue how to care for fish!

Jack, the wheat germ is actually in the fish food. It is usually called Spring & Fall diet or something like that anyway. I have one that I've been using by Tetra Pond (brand) and the fish love it. There are many other brands to choose from. The food has lots of other stuff in it like corn flour, oat meal, soybean meal, algae meal, etc. It is highly digestible and helps support a healthy immune system
fiss2.gif

Ask a Question