Hiding place for fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello.
Thanks everyone for the help so far. My pond is in and yesterday I added 3 small fish. I don't have a cave or anything else other than a pump and a couple plants on the bottom. I'd like to provide the fish a hiding place. I'm thinking either of a tub with holes, for them to hide in and be able to escape (in case a raccoon picks up the tube). My other idea is a crate that sits over the pump, hiding it, and on which I can place a potted plant, and which the fish can hide under. What would you recommend?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've used crates with flat rocks on top as hiding places as well as rocks in shallower ponds with the same to provide refuge from raccoons. The crate is easier to deal with if you have the depth.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use the plastic crates to elevate my water Lily pots. What I did, though, was drill out some of the openings to enlarge them, then sanded those places smooth. I had a few incidents where a fish got trapped in a tight hole, so decided to eliminate this problem. Then, I drape the crate with some type of oxygenator plants to help it blend in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use the plastic crates to elevate my water Lily pots. What I did, though, was drill out some of the openings to enlarge them, then sanded those places smooth. I had a few incidents where a fish got trapped in a tight hole, so decided to eliminate this problem. Then, I drape the crate with some type of oxygenator plants to help it blend in.
I love this idea. Thanks for the details, like the sanding. Several comments mention a plastic crate. I'll start looking for one. I appreciate you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love this idea. Thanks for the details, like the sanding. Several comments mention a plastic crate. I'll start looking for one. I appreciate you.
Look for what’s called a milk crate (Tractor Supply carries them). They are more durable than the generic crates you find in home stores.

Ask a Question