Hiding places

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Soon I'll be finished my pond, at least enough to move the fish in. They have been waiting in their old preform that has a stucco wire cover on it which is a good time I go as a heron stopped by for lunch a couple of weeks ago. The new pond will not be covered and I've been thinking about how to protect the fish from predators, especially herons. I'm wondering what others use to create hiding places for their fish. I have just four fish (but look forward to getting a few more). One is home free because she's black - of course I can rarely see her myself! They are 5-6". I've found they really like the clay flue tile I put in for them. It's about 9"x9"X11". They all hang out in there together quite comfortably, and the pump sits on top of it.

I look forward to getting plants established but am concerned about the lack of "natural" cover in the colder months. I made a couple of shelters out of rocks that are quite lovely, but I think the flue tiles will be much more secure.

I'd love to hear what others use.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fish hatchery people I picked up some fish from use the flue tiles for fish hiding places. The raise them in mud ponds, no nets, add flue tiles to give the fish hiding spots.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here are 2 things that I've done. I only have goldfish. I ended up doing away with the bucket as the crates were providing adequate hiding places [plus doubling as plant stands].

This was with a 2 gallon bucket (like from Lowe's/Home Depot) that I cut the bottom off. The landscape fabric helped camouflage the bucket, and once some algae grew on it, it looked "natural" and like "sea weed" growing in the pond. Rocks glued inside keep it weighted.

image.jpg

These are milk crates (Tractor Supply). I sawed the 4 sides out to leave just the support structures, then rounded and sanded all the edges to make them smooth. My lily buckets (Wally-World oil pans) go on them, and I stuff some Hornwort underneath. If you didn't put plants on them, you'd have to weight it with something as it will float.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Great ideas! It is good to be able to have hiding places do double-duty to support a plant or pump. The flue tile works really well; it was just something I had on hand because I always thought they looked quite neat. Someone is giving me a couple more. I like the idea of covering them so they blend in more. I think I'll try that.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have also seen where they place larger metal type tunnels and fill them with rocks on top and that hides the tunnel and gives a more natural look too. The tubes are metal of some sort, used in construction to pipe water threw culvert.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used drain pipe too, although we cut a slice off the bottom because it was too large - a cast off piece from a plumber friend. We added small boulders to the top to camouflage it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I heard now that most places don't like the tunnels because if a fish dies in the tunnel it can foul up the water and you don't know why because you can't see inside the tunnels .I love your idea turtle mommy it is similar to mine but without the plant holder since my koi destroy plants .Those crates are so cheap also .I use them on top of my filters for the activated charcoal and and quilt batting

Reaction score
I heard now that most places don't like the tunnels because if a fish dies in the tunnel it can foul up the water and you don't know why because you can't see inside the tunnels .I love your idea turtle mommy it is similar to mine but without the plant holder since my koi destroy plants .Those crates are so cheap also .I use them on top of my filters for the activated charcoal and and quilt batting

Not to change the subject, but what do you mean by this "I use them on top of my filters for the activated charcoal and and quilt batting' . Always interested to up my filtration and help the pond be clearer and cleaner.

I use the crates too for hiding spots for my fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put the crate on top of my filters .The hose from the pump is stuck through the crate opening.This way it runs into there before going into the stock tank

Attachments

• splendors gate 2015-pond 040.JPG
    splendors gate 2015-pond 040.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 341
  • splendors gate 2015-pond 042.JPG
    splendors gate 2015-pond 042.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 360

Ask a Question