Hiding Spots?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nice job on your pond @Craig Brown . That brick work is pretty.
If you do build a cave, I would not top it with a slate roof that has sharp edges. When my fish are spawning, the poor females are pushed into everything. I would be afraid they would get hurt on the slate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I made lots of 24 inch and 18 inch round stepping stones to look like wagon wheels in my basement .The work is rewarding and figured if I could ever find them they would be expensive to buy and all I used was was those big plant trays for the molds .I let them sit in my basement on the floor to cure slowly for 6 months .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Don't build a grado, they'll never come out. Just stack some rock on that shelf and they can hide under it. look at my avatar. Also, I have a low bog where a lot of my guys venture into.
LOL YUP you're an engineer, you have a computer bay under you pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think you could add the rocks around the ledge and up to the top and every now and then you can put the garden hose in the cracks and push all the gunk that collects down to the drain. Just don't put rocks on the bottom or you will have much more to deal w/in regards to cleaning out gunk. Think it would look very nice. I have rocks around the ledge in my pond, not as deep a ledge as you do but I have no problems w/build up and fish love nibbling in the cracks and crannies. Baby fish like to hide in them from the bigger fish too.

View attachment 91435

View attachment 91436
I think you could add the rocks around the ledge and up to the top and every now and then you can put the garden hose in the cracks and push all the gunk that collects down to the drain. Just don't put rocks on the bottom or you will have much more to deal w/in regards to cleaning out gunk. Think it would look very nice. I have rocks around the ledge in my pond, not as deep a ledge as you do but I have no problems w/build up and fish love nibbling in the cracks and crannies. Baby fish like to hide in them from the bigger fish too.

View attachment 91435

View attachment 91436

Whats the pale leaved plants? I got a little clump from my pond store/nursery but its not taken off. Its just floating around. Should I pot it?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Richardspond if you are talking about floating in the pond I have Water Lilies and Water Hawthorne (oblong). If out of pond on rocks I have the ground cover Sedums. Not sure which ones you are asking about?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, at this moment the computer room is all theory. It is where all the electrical comes into. But I designed the structure to support the weight of the flower garden. It’s about 6’ x 6’ and I have yet to fill it with water. I think the room is waterproof … hopefully. I planned to put measuring sensors and an underwater camera in. But it all hinges on whether or not it can support the weight of the pond. I guess it is about time I check it out. Might have broken a few laws with the electrical, hopefully there will be no issues 
In regard to playing with concrete, you can make some really cool stuff just by filling in everyday objects. I bought some trick or treat pails after Halloween that looked like a caldron. I filled them with concrete and then stuffed a 16 oz “Red Cup” in the middle. Makes a cool planter.

A few tips in regard to concrete. Always wear waterproof gloves. Concreate will suck the water out of your skin and you can get concrete poisoning. This is a very nasty condition and totally avoidable. Wear eye protection and a face mask. Having water sucked out of your eyes or lungs probably feels worse than your hands.

Cement has to “cure” (not dry). Curing is a chemical reaction. Drying is when water evaporates. If you make something out of concreate, wrap in in plastic wrap.

If you are going to make a lot of concreate, spring for a Harbor Freight Cement mixer (about $180). Like all Harbor Freight stuff, expect it to be difficult to assemble and possibly be missing parts. Harbor Freight exists by not have quality assurance They know this, and will do just about any exchange you ask, no questions asked. I LOVE Harbor Freight! I have great Makita and Dewalt tools for stuff I know I will do year after year. But for things that I only need to do a few times, buying Harbor Freight is cheaper then renting. You just need to approach it with the attitude that it may or may not work the first time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, this is what I did about adding rocks. Kind of cool the way the waterfall hits the rocks. I'll probably appreciate it more when my back stops hurting (Advil is heroin for middle-age :)
IMG_1573.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wait until you get my age .I found the best thing is peroxide ,epsom salts and baking soda in bath water and soak as long as you can .I turn the TV on and try to watch a longer show while I am soaking .I have spent the winter and spring rebuilding 2 large decks .You may have to adjust your rocks there for the sound you want when it comes out ,but at least that will be easy .How many gph pump are you going for .

Reaction score
Bass like hiding places but I don't think koi like do. They do like to sit under floating plants but so do the goldfish. I think it's the shade that they like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Sadly, thats why I loved fantails...they seemed to be too stupid to hide and thats why they were enjoyable and short lived. IM still in mourning! I think my resident garter snake is to blame. Its unconfirmed...yet. I have a total of 3 fish left in my small pond....two blackies and one gold. All the others have disappeared or been found outside the pond unmolested but dead. Im almost convinced now they would rather suffocate then be eaten! When I see that snake again, hes gonna be moved to the local water hazard on the gold course! Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
My koi like hiding under a big flat slab of rock that is propped up on smaller rocks in the pond. I think it also affords them some physical protection in case we get a raccoon or some other critter that wants a free seafood meal from the pond. :)

Ask a Question