Hillside pond?

Reaction score
I'm so frustrated. Trying to find a suitable place for my pond in my new home and everywhere I want to consider has either: underground water lines; underground waste lines; septic tank; septic field; gas lines; electrical conduits; or all of the above. I have 3 medium koi and 5 large goldfish, so I need a fairly sizable pond plus a bog filter. I'm increasingly nervous about their temporary home (stock tank).

The only spot that is unobstructed, will provide interesting views from the house and is potentially accessible to me in my wheelchair is on a hill.

Has anyone built a pond on a hill?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have small one on a hill, about 700 gallons. Took the soil from excavation and built a berm on the down slope and covered with liner and rocks to stabilize. Only spot in my backyard that would get enough sun to have water lilies. Some pics in my showcase.

Reaction score
I have small one on a hill, about 700 gallons. Took the soil from excavation and built a berm on the down slope and covered with liner and rocks to stabilize. Only spot in my backyard that would get enough sun to have water lilies. Some pics in my showcase.
I remembered that you built on a hill, but I thought it was mostly waterfalls and small pools. Great idea about the berm. It might require some retaining wall blocks as well.

Do you still have your pond cam operating?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mafia blocks / retaning wall block or even boulders can be a quick secure way to build on a hill while on the uphill dig into the hill so your part building up part building down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I'm so frustrated. Trying to find a suitable place for my pond in my new home and everywhere I want to consider has either: underground water lines; underground waste lines; septic tank; septic field; gas lines; electrical conduits; or all of the above. I have 3 medium koi and 5 large goldfish, so I need a fairly sizable pond plus a bog filter. I'm increasingly nervous about their temporary home (stock tank).

The only spot that is unobstructed, will provide interesting views from the house and is potentially accessible to me in my wheelchair is on a hill.

Has anyone built a pond on a hill?
Do you have pictures of your hill site and the access method for your wheelchair?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My ponds are on a steep hill. To make a flat pond area I dug down the up slope edge by 4 feet, used the dirt to build up the down slope edge by about 7ish feet. Built a switch back stream coming down the slope from the house, 25 degree slope, that runs to the pond. Our house is at the top of the slope so we look down on the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did a hillside pond because it allowed me to use the hill for a natural stream. I could not have the stream end up at a level spot because it would have blocked access to the back yard. Definitely more of a challenge to get the water level just right all around, but the dirt from the hole can be used for the berm.
May 2022.jpeg

Ask a Question