Homemade Filter question

Reaction score
I have a pump that needs to be put in a mesh bag with some filter material to keep stuff from clogging it up. I can't find where I saw how to make it. I just want to put it around the pump and keep it in the pond. Any suggestions on what type and where to find the mesh bag, etc?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Cathy; are you thinking of this as an actual filter or merely something to keep the pump from clogging? If it's the latter, try placing the pump in one of those mesh planting baskets, cut a small hole in the side to run the hose through, and use a few electrical wire ties or twist ties to secure another basket upside-down over the first. Works well and costs about $8. John

Reaction score
Thought if I could make a duel small filter trap thingy, it would protect the pump better. Not sure what mesh planting baskets your speaking of. Do you have a link to a pic?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HARO...you beat me too it. i was typing the same thing and a box appeared saying 2 replys have been added...read them.. didnt have to finish mine.

Reaction score
The wire basket you use the natural fiber to hold the soil in? Would need to use both basket and liner.. could just use the liner and tie around pump?
"Use a Natural Fiber Liner for Mesh Baskets

Natural fiber liners such as moss, coir or coco fiber help support the soil evenly. They also insulate the soil to keep the plants’ roots cool during hot, sunny weather. Natural liners also look nicer than bare plastic. At the end of the season, natural liners can be added to the compost pile. (A solid plastic pot would not require a fiber liner.)"

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can get the mesh planter pots at lowes, home depot, etc...theyre for submerged plants ...plastic not metal!! this set up is for keeping your pump from clogging not actual pond filtering!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks Mark. I'm not really great with computers, or I'd post a link. Maybe I'll figure it out in time, but for now I'll just have to try and explain things. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
My old pump had an unscreened opening for the intake, and I was worried about sucking in small fish. I used one of the 12" square pond planters, dropped my pump in the middle, and packed 1" rock all around it. This acted as a coarse filter for debris, and any fish that got too close were able to swim away before getting sucked up.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can also wrap a layer of coarse filter material around the pump and place the whole thing in any mesh container or even a pail with lots of holes drilled in it. I've had people tell me they filter their ponds this way, but personally I doubt there would be much biological activity in this set-up. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wrap your pump in an old piece of pantyhose.
Or, for a low- cost homemade filter...
Put your pump in a bucket with a piece of pvc pipe [screwed into it] sticking up just below the surface of the water. Cover the pump (filling the bucket) with lava rock. The lava rock acts as a filter and prevents debris (and fish) from getting sucked into the pumps innards.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get those laundry bags at the dollar store and put lava rock in them and then put the pump in a milk crate type thing and the laundry bag with lava rock on top .If I have to clean the lava rock all I have to do is pull the bag out and hose it off and toss it back in .The laundry bags at the dollar store are 3 for a dollar and when it starts to fall apart I just use a new one

Ask a Question