Hoping to Convert an old concrete chlorine pool to natural pool/pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even if you built your bog inside the existing pool, you could use gravity to return the water to the pool. You'd just need to raise the pool-facing wall of the pond a bit above the rest of the pond. So for example, if you decided to turn the shallow end of the pond into a bog, you could do something like the diagram below:

View attachment 154465
Thanks YShahar.
What do you think of my drawings at the top of this thread? Do they make sense as far as filtration?
It’s an 18x36’ pool and that’s quite a volume of water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF.

I'd suggest you search YouTube for ideas - I've seen a number of people do these conversions.

Here's one:

an other pool conversion but the deep end gets the bog

Reaction score
Country
United States
As far as sharing links, I've received a lot of good information from the OZ Ponds youtube videos and his website.
www.ozponds.com

What you really need to build a successful pond:

Aquablox alternatives:

His youtube channel has over 150 videos on the subject. His focus is on ponds, not natural pools, but it's great information and well
put together in terms of being full of detail and to the point.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Thanks YShahar.
What do you think of my drawings at the top of this thread? Do they make sense as far as filtration?
It’s an 18x36’ pool and that’s quite a volume of water.
I'm not sure I understand the podium filter from your drawing, but I'm thinking that your "gravel bed" filter (aka, a bog filter) may end up being all the filtration you need. You could also do an under-gravel filtration system in the main part of the pond (such as the one described here: https://www.pondtrademag.com/so-you...enance-free-system-for-clean-beautiful-water/).

And I'm with you on the Ozpond videos. Some great stuff there!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand the podium filter from your drawing, but I'm thinking that your "gravel bed" filter (aka, a bog filter) may end up being all the filtration you need. You could also do an under-gravel filtration system in the main part of the pond (such as the one described here: https://www.pondtrademag.com/so-you...enance-free-system-for-clean-beautiful-water/).

And I'm with you on the Ozpond videos. Some great stuff there!
YShahar
As far as what I described as a “podium”-
It would be what I described as #2 in the top of this post. Basically a 36”Wx24”Dx6’H framed box (2x4’s & plywood?). This would be at the rim- outside and above the pool on the deep end width. This would contain and conceal any pump/s, pipes, and two 55gallon barrels modified as bioball filters. It would also act as a waterfall since it would be outside the pool and six feet higher.

If I ever build #3 (the “raised bed”channels) these would also be at the rim- outside and above the pool and be fed from #2 (“podium”). And they’d have a waterfall at each endpoint too. And plants grown in the gravel. I added drawings at the top of the post which attempt to visualize the description.

Maybe the main bog filter/gravel bed (#1) will be sufficient. Part of the three-prong approach I am aiming for is its flexibility. If I am too busy or broke, I can stick with #1(bog/gravel bed filter). And since that’s the hardest one to change, focusing well on that. #’s 2 & 3 are ways to add beauty as well as filtration & oxidation. And won’t take up swimming space since they’ll be outside the pool itself. And they can be added at any time.

Last edited:

Ask a Question